Egg too old????

• 2 Replies

Pretty Chick

Egg too old????
« on: June 10, 2010, 17:36 »
Hi  :),

I've 2 broody hens, Bertie with 2 eggs under at day 10 and Rosie with 1 egg under at day 5.
I collected the eggs from a local chicken breeder on the 30th May, let them rest till the next day and then put 2 under Bertie and 1 under Rosie.
I put all 3 eggs under on the same day, but after a few days I found that Rosie's was slightly cracked  :(.
I then put another under her on the 5th June. This one hasn't been cracked yet fortunately  :).

I candled Bertie's 2 eggs on day 5 and both are fertile. There was clearly a big blob with veins coming out from it.
I've just candled Rosie's (which is now at day 5), but it doesn't look the same as the other 2 looked on day 5.
I think I can just make out a couple of veins, but am not certain.

Do you think that because I put the egg under after storing it for around a week, that it's too old to develop? But as I said I think there may be something going on inside.
If I leave it under just in case it's developing, how long before I should remove it in case it explodes?

Any help will be appreciated  ;).

All lives are precious.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Egg too old????
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 18:18 »
with older eggs the fertility reduces but it should still be ok, I would candle again in about a week  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pretty Chick

Re: Egg too old????
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 20:14 »
with older eggs the fertility reduces but it should still be ok, I would candle again in about a week  :)

Okay, I'll do that then. Thanks Joyfull  :)

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 37 queries.