letting off steam

• 29 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
letting off steam
« on: June 09, 2010, 19:43 »
Had a visit last week from the council a neighbour complained about the wood on the verge outside my house. It had only been there 10 days, I have several buider friends who drop  me off thier waste instead of skipping it. The council man asked what I was going to do with it. I had to bite my lip to not be sarcastic and I politely explained about my woodburners. What happened to sustainablilty I thought the council was suposed to be encouraging green behaviour. Is it only for things that look pretty.

I'm a woman on my own I think next time I'll suggest that he askes the neighbour if they would like to be neighbourly and help me shift it!
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

compostqueen

Re: letting off steam
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 23:21 »
Get your builders to drop it off on your drive or garden then hopefully no-one will be given cause to complain.  The council have to investigate complaints to be fair to them. I've got a woodburner and I had some scrap wood given to me today but it was dropped onto my front garden along with all the other building materials.  If it was left on the street hereabouts it would get nicked  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 23:39 »
It's lucky your neighbours don't live near us, we've nearly always got a pile of old wood in our front garden for our woodburner!   :D

Madame Cholet

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 06:49 »
The problem is I only have a very small front garden, which is full of tubs, growing veg and no drive. I also have a moped which has to go up the path to be locked in the passage. Its really the only option.

To be fair I was'nt angry whith th guy just the neigbour. If they had come over and knocked on my door I could have explained that it wasn't just rubish laying about and that I would move it a soon as I could.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 08:42 »
Yes, and it's a bit miffing that they rang the council first. Some people are like that though
They're obviously jealous of your woodburner  :tongue2: :D

I lit mine last night as it was so bloomin cold.  Folks walk past and gaze in longingly at it  :D

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 10:24 »
There's something to be said for a 1/4 mile long drive and no one knows how to get to my place, you can see it, but cornish roads are the very devil for sending you off tangent, lololol
But maybe your neighbours hands are too soft and his back too weak to help you shift it, shame on him.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 13:06 »
While they were taking the trouble to find the council phone number, ringing them up to complain they could have given you a lift with the wood. 

I'm glad to say I have helpful neighbours  :)

Madame Cholet

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 21:12 »
My immediate nieghbours are lovely the 84 year old next door lets me share his green house and waters my garden when i'm away.

I guess it was the people opposite, the houses are only a few years old, they probably think the're more up market. I probably don't fit the right image my car is 15 years old and three different colours, I ride a motor bike and do my own diy.

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 21:52 »
Hi you’re  not the only person to get a visit from the local council I have been in trouble with my local council a few times over the same thing and that is having pallets of compost in the middle of the road I live in after been delivered that has happened twice this year after my neighbour complained that the road was blocked ( it’s a one way street ) and I live in the corner.

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 11:19 »
No one is above anybody else, we all sit the same way over the hole  ;)  Ah the bliss of no neighbours, our closest is 4 acres away either way. One set are the best and shut my birds up when I work and do pup patrol at the same time, the others I've never met but hear them each 5/11 as they turn our village into Beirut with their fireworks.

GreenOwl

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 16:14 »
Maybe they find you intimidating?  :D  Seriously (and I'm not defending them because I think they should have come over and spoken to you as well) some people find that very hard and would prefer to do the anonymous thing and go to the trouble of looking up the council number.  Try not to hold it against them.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 22:30 »
Sorry but people who go running to the council instead of approaching the person they are complaining about get no sympathy from me It's a nasty thing to do as councils have to follow rules which can then impose unreasonable requirements. At least talk to the neighbors first, if no response or negative response then the council.  I speak from experience !!!
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 00:23 »

I guess it was the people opposite, the houses are only a few years old, they probably think the're more up market. I probably don't fit the right image my car is 15 years old and three different colours, I ride a motor bike and do my own diy.

Image?  ::) Try having no car and no wood burner  ::) there's a down market image for you  ::)

As for things on the verge we have only cars on our pavements - hardly anyone walks and there's little room for wheelchairs or wood  :(

But I can sympathise with your moan... Perhaps the neighbour thought the wood dumped?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Livinhope

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 12:57 »
I'm sorry, but speaking from bitter experience, there are some men, my neighbour included, who seem to think that a woman (or in my case woman and adult daughter) is fair game to prove his masculinity by trying to dominate and control.  For over twenty years we have had problems with him and have found our only course (can't afford legal) is to go to the correct council authorities.  Both he and we own our own houses but there are still legal requirements that the council can deal with.

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 23:43 »
I'm sorry, but speaking from bitter experience, there are some men, my neighbour included, who seem to think that a woman (or in my case woman and adult daughter) is fair game to prove his masculinity by trying to dominate and control.  For over twenty years we have had problems with him and have found our only course (can't afford legal) is to go to the correct council authorities.  Both he and we own our own houses but there are still legal requirements that the council can deal with.

Neighbours are a curse or a treasure.... Ours are wonderful so we have stayed in the same house for the last 25 years.  :happy:

On one side our neighbours are really great - ready to chat but not to the point of reducing privacy. Willing to help but never interfering.

On the other side - we nod. Exchange hellos once in a while but we coexist without annoying each other - that works well.

Whatever your neighbours are like I think the best thing to try to do is to treat them as you would like to be treated by them... sometimes that can be a strain  :(

I wish you the best of luck with yours.  ;)

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 36 queries.