slug defence

• 50 Replies

diggerjoe

Re: slug defence
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 16:07 »
We have a small field that the local scouts use at the end of our garden its rough gras for about 10yards in and the cut and is surrounded by a huge privit hedge I am sorry to say i practice my tennis with the slugs and snails and although I shouldnt I get sense of satisfaction seeing them fly over the hedge and it improves my forehand no end :D :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 16:50 »
I hope you have really strong groundstrokes, as unless smashed they will return  :D

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 17:06 »
diggerjoe:

I'm sensing a new Olympic event here.   :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 17:08 »
......and I'm sensing a very yucky experience when attempting an overhead smash!  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

midwayashmo

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 17:28 »
Hi All

try this:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=56404.msg666103#msg666103

It really does work. I made a batch a few weeks ago and use a few drops every 10 days or so over carrots, radish, brussels, cabbage, parsnips, basically anything that slugs go for and so far not a sign of any and it doen't make the veg taste of garlic either.

Does make the house smell abit whilst youre making it though. :D
Shaun

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 22:46 »
I've had a teeny pond in my garden for a few years now with plenty of hideaways for frogs etc, but no joy. Plenty of slugs & snails there tho'. Birds do enjoy them & as u say, beer traps atract them to an all-night party!

I've resorted to night time patrols wearing a headlamp band & a trowel, & sorry to offend, beheading them. They still get eaten.
I've also put petroleum jelly around my pots & sprinkled with salt, no munching  :). I've so far only lost a couple of seedlings, the rest are doing well  :)
Mash.

pumpkin5605

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 23:12 »
I'm afraid that the best way i have found is to put down horse bran. Surround the crop needing protection and even any slugs inside he circle will enjoy munching on the bran rather than your lettuce etc. and will eat themselves to a suitable 'end'.

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 00:07 »
Love to be unpopular but "GET REAL". With slugs it is them or us (or just live with having * all veg because the slugs get it all).  Slugs are slugs. Kill them with beer traps, or (Told you i would be unpopular) slug pellets around your growing area. Its all well and good being "organic" but not much good if you don't actually produce any veg!!

I feel that I am quite 'real' with my approach to my allotment thank you!  I don't make a special effort to be organic but I don't want to use slug pellets if I can help it.  As stated above I encourage frogs and toads with my pond and stacked logs etc.  I have no problems with killing slugs and have beer traps.  I also have a slug picker upper (a bit like a litter picker) which I use and drop the slugs in the beer.

Using these methods I have produced a more than acceptable amount of veg.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and methods, but I would prefer not to be told to 'get real' because my method is not your method.

My sincere apologies elcie. My comments were not meant to offend and in any case werent directed at you so there is really no need to feel "victimised" by my comments. My point is that I am sick and tired of putting hours of effort in to return and find quote "3 carrots and a couple of parsnips" which IMHO doesn't amount to an acceptable amount of veg. Bottom line is I will continue my war on slugs and use any methods available to dispatch them. If the slug pellets "attract slugs" then so be it as long as they dont eat my veg!
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 10:38 »
Hi All

try this:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=56404.msg666103#msg666103

It really does work. I made a batch a few weeks ago and use a few drops every 10 days or so over carrots, radish, brussels, cabbage, parsnips, basically anything that slugs go for and so far not a sign of any and it doen't make the veg taste of garlic either.

Does make the house smell abit whilst youre making it though. :D

Does this kill them or just keeps them away from the veg?

Zippy

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 10:45 »
I think it is supposed to fool the slug into thinking (do slugs think?) the treated vegetable is not palatable as slugs don't usually go for garlic.

Its a bit like pouring tomato ketchup all over your chocolate eclaire.

Curlytop

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2010, 13:50 »
I have heard putting lime down will get rid of the slugs, but would lime harm the veg?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2010, 17:30 »
I have never heard of using lime for slug defence.  I would advise against it as you will be altering the pH of the soil and potentially preventing the plants from thriving or acquiring other nutrients.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Curlytop

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2010, 20:17 »
Thanks Yorkie I will give the lime a miss but will try the garlic, have been out everynight with a head torch and a jam jar, I will not be beaten on this

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2010, 21:52 »
I love the idea of you going round a lotty with a head torch and jam jar  :lol:

Our local PCSOs would be along pronto if I tried that on mine  :ohmy:

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2010, 23:43 »
as i've said before had great success with beer traps especially in strawberry bed, 9ft by 9ft, caught 100plus last 2 months but very few last 2 weeks. put comfry in pots last 2 days[ZIPPYS' idea] got a few more. But do we ever win???????????????????

Damn woodlice chewing into them now!!!!!     Should i start a new post or just relax and enjoy what nature is willing to allow me????,lol :D :D :D

xx
Slug control for allotment - Slug gone or wool loft insulation?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 14:32
by composthappens
xx
Best defence for my runner beans once they're in?

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 21:35
by SUTTY1
xx
Nutshells as pest defence?

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 16, 2009, 07:12
by arugula
xx
Plot defence- Garlic water.

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 23:38
by Elaine G

Page created in 0.608 seconds with 38 queries.