runner beans

• 5 Replies

sladefungus

runner beans
« on: June 19, 2007, 11:11 »
Hi ive tried searching forums for this but cant find anything. - a couple of my runner bean plants have a main climbing shoot but the lower side shoots are also turning into climbing shoots rather than flower shoots.  should i pinch these off and leave just one climbing shoot?
Time is natures way of stopping everything happening at once

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
runner beans
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:16 »
Personally I would leave alone I have only ever stopped beans once and had a poor year, so I generally just leave them to get on with it.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
runner beans
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 11:17 »
nope just let them go, wehn the main shoot reaches the top of your poles nip it out and the others will race away.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

intraclast

runner beans
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 14:36 »
I was just searching for this topic, so its nice to find an active post :) So just how do you "nip out" or "pinch out" the main growing point? I've seen the term mentioned lots both on here an in books, but no instructions on how to do it. Is it just a case of taking the main growing tip between finger and thumb and giving it a good squeeze?

Oh... also, hello, first post, but have been ready for a month or so now. I'll go do this in the welcome forum :)
Trying to be organic with no dead animals in the mix!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
runner beans
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 14:41 »
Quote from: "intraclast"
I was just searching for this topic, so its nice to find an active post :) So just how do you "nip out" or "pinch out" the main growing point? I've seen the term mentioned lots both on here an in books, but no instructions on how to do it. Is it just a case of taking the main growing tip between finger and thumb and giving it a good squeeze?

Oh... also, hello, first post, but have been ready for a month or so now. I'll go do this in the welcome forum :)

Hello & Welcome.

You have it right, 'pinching out' is generally what it means - forefinger & thumb - although if you could get a clean cut with a chainsaw without doing yourself & the plant any mischief, that would be acceptable!!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

intraclast

runner beans
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 08:46 »
Thanks for that, gave them all a good squeeze last night, seemed to work fine. I stopped short of the chainsaw though! :)

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans / kiddney beans

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 21:35
by muntjac

Page created in 0.583 seconds with 36 queries.