Blight Watch Alerts

• 255 Replies

Coach

• Experienced Member
Re: Blight Watch Alerts
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2010, 12:03 »
Received a blight warning yesterday!!!

Dug up my 1st earlies this morning and sprayed the rest and my tomatoes!!!
It all depends what you put into the ground, to what you get out

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2010, 12:08 »
Given that the only reported outbreak is about 600 miles from you, I wouldn't have worried that much!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2010, 13:09 »
A little hasty there Coach.

The Blight Watch Alerts must be interpreted with a little thought.

If there is a full Smith's Period in your area and the nearest outbreak is say in the same county as you then some preventative action would be a very good idea.

Otherwise you are just wasting your money and throwing unnecessary fungicides about.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2010, 13:57 »
One of my friends who lives relativley near to me is adament that his tomatoes in his greenhouse have blight, it does look like it aswell :unsure: :(
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2010, 13:59 »
Tomatoes can suffer wit early blight - different to late blight on potatoes.

This is a good site for tomato diseases:

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/diagnostickeys/TomWlt/TomWiltKey.html

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2010, 15:20 »

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/diagnostickeys/TomWlt/TomWiltKey.html

Blimey - I wish I hadn't looked at that - now I think a couple of my toms have got Tomato Bunchy Top - what I do about that I wonder?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2010, 15:54 »
Blimey - I wish I hadn't looked at that - now I think a couple of my toms have got Tomato Bunchy Top - what I do about that I wonder?

Don't go and read a medical encyclopedia to take your mind off it!  :nowink:  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2010, 16:17 »
RG23 Near Miss Period yesterday 9 June 2010  :(
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2010, 16:36 »

You've got curly leaves along with a lot of us....it's quite common at this time of year.....and nothing to worry about :D I think it is caused by temperature variation between night and day

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2010, 21:54 »

Don't go and read a medical encyclopedia to take your mind off it!  :nowink:  ::)

I had to laugh - were you also thinking of the opening chapter of Three Men and a Boat when the hero read a medical book and convinced himself he was suffering with every sickness except housemaids knee?  I know it's a bit off topic, but check it out on http://www.readbookonline.net/read/2463/11546/

I am also relieved to read that Stig's mum is also suffering from bunchy tomato tops :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2010, 22:04 »

I had to laugh - were you also thinking of the opening chapter of Three Men and a Boat when the hero read a medical book and convinced himself he was suffering with every sickness except housemaids knee?  I know it's a bit off topic, but check it out on http://www.readbookonline.net/read/2463/11546/

I am also relieved to read that Stig's mum is also suffering from bunchy tomato tops :D

I think that's exactly what I was thinking of although funnily enough I don't actually remember ever reading the book!  :nowink:

("Bunchy tomato tops" almost sounds like something Jerome K Jerome would have written about as well!  :lol: )

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2010, 22:10 »
It actually sounds quite painful..........I'm just glad that it's the tomatoes that are suffering and not me  ;)

Coach

• Experienced Member
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2010, 14:20 »

If there is a full Smith's Period in your area and the nearest outbreak is say in the same county as you then some preventative action would be a very good idea.

Otherwise you are just wasting your money and throwing unnecessary fungicides about.

It was a full Smith Period for the TQ12 area

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2010, 14:24 »

It was a full Smith Period for the TQ12 area
Yes, but the only blight so far is in Scotland.............so you need to asses the risk of blight for your area ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2010, 15:14 »
I think it worth repeating that a  Smith Period is a 48 hour period where temperature and humidity are suitable for the propagation of the blight pathogen.

It does NOT mean blight will occur. There is a greater chance of this happening with more frequent and regular occurances of Smith Periods.

With there only being one outbreak in the north of Scotland, it is not nesessary for those 100's of miles away to start panicing at the notification of a Smith Period.

These links were provided so you had all the info to make an informed decision - as Aunt Sally said - and not to cause mass panic.

xx
Blight alerts

Started by Coach on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 17:06
by DD.
xx
Blight Watch

Started by Aunt Sally on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 11:02
by Kristen
xx
blight watch

Started by peterjf on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 17:30
by Salmo
xx
Blight Watch

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 01:01
by oldcow

Page created in 0.598 seconds with 37 queries.