Really need some help -

• 2 Replies

Jacob1

Really need some help -
« on: June 19, 2007, 10:46 »
Could do with some help!

I have a chicken run, holds 7/9 max – started off with 7 mid summer last year, They have a run that goes into a shed, laying boxes and roosting bars etc,

During the winter lost a one, insure what for,  had full crop and I feed grit also.

Since then I have lost three in as many months, each one seems to have had the same symptoms, low head, slow, lethargic, mucky rear end, don’t rush out when I go to see them like the rest.

I ma getting eggs from them all.

Unsure what to do, one of the three remaining seems to be getting the same symptoms, low head etc, slow and lethargic

Should I cull the whole lot, leave the pen empty for a month, then look at some new stock (which if there is a bug should allow it to die)

Cant understand why each one seems to get it, then slowly die, why is it not getting them altogether, if it was a disease, which I am sure it is not, then they would all die together

Could it be that there is a really strong bird that is bullying the weakest and hence they are dieing of starvation!

Have watched and the ill bird is eating and doesn’t seem to be bullied – but I am not there all day!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Really need some help -
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:49 »
It's very hard to diagnose an illness like this Jacob.  Particularly without seeing the birds.  A vet would take a set of specimens for pathology and in the mean time would treat the symptoms.

Anti worm treatment,
Antibiotic for bacterial infection,
Coccidiosis treatment

A thorough clean of the house and run using jayes fluid would be a good idea.

Let us know how things go.

mercury

Really need some help -
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 12:49 »
Good advice from aunt sally :)  :wink:

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 36 queries.