Laying in the Ditch

• 7 Replies

chuckmad

Laying in the Ditch
« on: June 07, 2010, 17:50 »
 >:(
Hey guys, i know that one of my hens is laying and think there might be two laying.  We went away for the weekend and the inlaws dutifully looked after the hens (and did a great job too).  I told them they could have any eggs that are laid.  But low and behold there were no eggs over 3 and half days.  There should have been at least 1. 
We arrived back at our house today and found one of them jumping back into run (five foot fence). we have searched and searched the ditch but no luck. we are eggless. Is it possible that they may have laid the eggs in the long grass? How far will they go to lay?
How will I put this to a stop, before I pull all my hair out?

Pretty Chick

Re: Laying in the Ditch
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 18:10 »
Is it possible that they may have laid the eggs in the long grass?

Yes that may be the case.
A couple of my hens used to fly over the fence and lay eggs in a prickly bush (which was hard to get to ::)), fly up in to our hanging baskets and lay them in there (make sure you check high and low  ;)) and also recently I moved a roll of chicken wire and found around 11 eggs behind it.
So i'd say keep searching if you continue to get no eggs when you think they are laying. It may be just a blip (mine sometimes don't lay for a couple of days and then continue) or you might need to do a thorough search  :).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 18:12 by Pretty Chick »
All lives are precious.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 19:08 »
one of mine used to lay underneath a tarpaulin on the back of one of our lorries, I just used to take all but one on the eggs (write on this one the day) and then remove that one the next time they laid. This kept her laying in the same spot as she thought I didn't know about it  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

chuckmad

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:53 »
That sounds like a good idea joyfull,
Is there anyway I can get them to lay in the nest box  ???

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 09:15 »
put a dummy egg or two (pot, plastic or rubber) in their nest boxes so they can see this is where they should lay  :)

chuckmad

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 10:55 »
yeah, we have had a dummy egg in the nest box from day 1.  when we locked one of the hens in the coop she gladly laid in the nest box but not when she is allowed out in to the run. I think the only thing for it is to put netting over the top of the run, it will keep then safe too.

chuckmad

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 09:48 »
Still no eggs and we confined the two laying hens yesterday. Its absolutely pouring out today, so they can do what they want.  I'm destined to have an eggless life (i refuse to buy eggs) and my oven is crying out for me to bake something.  Any eggless recipes out there??????????

chuckmad

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 14:03 »
that's it, i've had enough.  Right now I love my hens but I do not particularly like them.
We have searched high and low and can not find any eggs. I'm trying to convince myself that they are not laying but i cant see why they would have stopped.
I'm getting netting for the top of the run this weekend and after that they can do what they want, i'm washing my hands of them (at least until the next time they make me laugh).
And to make it all worse, the deli that I get my lunch in is selling free range eggs (not boxed). Talk about rubbing it in.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

xx
All laying!

Started by viettaclark on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 18:26
by Hayley'sHens
xx
They're laying again!

Started by ghost61 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2016, 19:34
by Kate58
xx
Laying again!

Started by CluckyChicken on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 19:38
by Tigerwren
xx
Who's laying?

Started by falcieri on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 20:10
by Totty

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 31 queries.