Cues

• 8 Replies

SPUDMIESTER

• Life is too short to be stuck inside!
Cues
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:43 »
Hi all,

I'm struggling with my cucumber plants in the greenhouse at the minute and wondered if anyone has the same issue - I planted them about five weeks ago and they have only grown a few inches with the lower leaves turning yellow. I've been watering them regulary with a pot in the mound of soil pointing at the roots and have even tried miracle grow to shift them to no avail. They are are fem spot bought from a reputable nurserie so would have thought they be near the roof by now. :(

rusty100

Re: Cues
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 20:28 »
From 4 sown 1 survived and I have just picked my first ever home grown cue and it tasted nice! There are about 4 more small ones growing on it.

I have just been giving it a small drink (water) on an evening when i call up after work and it seems happy enough. By the way its in a polytunnel.

sarahsdream

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 21:23 »
Im having a mere with my outdoor cucumbers  :( They don't look they are doing much at the mo
Sarah :-)

plot6b

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 21:51 »
Would not using a propriety Tomato feed be better in this instance?

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 09:23 »
possibly the cucucumber is standing in to wet a soil ,check the stem to see if it has any weak points e.g like a bit cut  out or else leave from watering for a few days then see what happens

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 09:33 »
I have several cue plants all from my own seeds and covering about 5 diff varieties and they are all a bit slow. In fact it was only this week I noticed they were starting to get under way. I would not personally let them sit in wet conditions and I would use a tomato fertiliser but not excesively and not yet. The fertiliser in the ground or pots should have sufficed upto now. When you do feed you should follow the directions on dilution and only then feed about once  a week initially. Feeding for the fruit is counterproductive at this stage as you need growth first and excessive feeding for fruit will poison the small plants.

SPUDMIESTER

• Life is too short to be stuck inside!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 12:25 »
Hi All - Thanks for all the response

You could be right in the fact the soil culd be too wet - i'll ease up on the watering and see if they pick up

rusty100

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 22:55 »
I am finding the cue which has a small drink daily is doing ok. I have one waterlogged plant what looks sick!

Elcie

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 23:00 »
Hi All - Thanks for all the response

You could be right in the fact the soil culd be too wet - i'll ease up on the watering and see if they pick up

I have some cucumbers in large pots and I water at the side of the pot rather than in the centre over the plant.  This means that the stem doesn't get wet.  For outside cucumbers (and any squash really) you can plant an upturned pop bottle with the neck under the roots.  Cut the end off and then water through this.  I do this with my courgettes/marrows (run out of them for the cucumbers!) but I do it before i plant them.  Perhaps it might be worth giving it a go, a part of a hosepipe in the ground and water through the pipe would do just as good.

xx
Pinching out cues

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 24, 2010, 17:57
by tosca100
xx
bitter cues

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 16:20
by KT
xx
outdoor cues

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 14:31
by DD.
xx
cues question!

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 13:10
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 36 queries.