First Cockerel Crowing!!!

• 9 Replies

Foxy

« on: June 18, 2007, 21:21 »
Well they have started early!! 2 of my youngsters -at just 7weeks old have started crowing -isn't that a bit young?? Everso funny sounded like he was being strangled and nothing like a cockle- do. I couldn't stop laughing at him!!
Anyone else got cockerels crowing yet?? :lol:  :lol:

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 06:46 »
Well it seems that I have a cockerel, my white is indeed a boy and has proved it by assaulting!! poor Buffy not that she seemed to mind :oops: In fact not the Lady I thought she was as I think she invited him!

He is trying so hard to Cock-a-doodle but is still a bit strangled.  I suspect he will pick that up like he has the other business :? Oh he is now called Dirty Harry :D Since this someone has pulled out those 2 nice tail feathers but he is still a bit of a handsome chap.  His fate awaits do I keep or remove?

chickensuburbian

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 09:16 »
hi foxy, my two boys are now cock a dooing, not fighting with each other and havent discovered the pleasures of hen flesh.  Most on this site seem to think boys are good for two things only - meat and babies.  Did you choose boys  or did they just grow that way, like mine!

Their fate is also in the balance, they live in my coal shed/cellar under my kitchen tenement, so are sound proofed to an extent in the morning.

If they become fighters and fornicators (not that i'm a prude, but have read that they can be 'brutish' in their style with the ladies)  i will have to re assess the situation - does anyone know whether it is a dead cert that they will?
a hen is an egg's way of making another egg

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 21:45 »
HEY, SLOWEF.  NICE BIRD, DON'T KILL HIM!  IF YOU COULD PUT HIM IN A BOX FIRST CLASS, I'D HAVE HIM.  LOOKING FOR NEW BLOOD TO BREED.  CAN OFFER ARAUCANA COCK IN RETURN! ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 22:26 »
Lovely bird you have there slowef, shame he's a he!!!!!!

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 23:07 »
HI slowef, what a lovely boy!! No I didn't intend to have quite so many cockerels.  :shock:I have some large salmon favorelles  cockerels- and they are turning into bruisers. Will post some pictures! I also have a couple of strange pekin/austrolorp cockerels who are really funny - if i walk past they frantically start picking up straw and stones for me! :lol:  :lol: So far I think they are all too young to fight...

chicksforkicks

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 04:32 »
mine started crowing 2 days ago, and we had to get rid of him :( because o complaints of neighbors
-If life gives you lemons find someone who got vodka and have a party
-If it doesn't fit;force it. If it breaks; you needed a new one anyway
-Borrow money from pessimist; they don't expect it back

Sven The Swede

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 04:32 »
Quote from: "chicksforkicks"
mine started crowing 2 days ago, and we had to get rid of him :( because o complaints of neighbors

Know how they feel, One not far from my home starts at 4 in the morn and goes on till dinner. That why I up on pc now  :lol:
I CAME LATE TO THIS GAME, BUT IT'S IN THE BLOOD. I TRY TO BE ORGANIC BUT SORRY HAVE TO USE THE SLUG PELLETS.

Fat Hen

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 21:09 »
My Silkie cockerel started crowing about a month ago, not regular yet some mornings he does and some not, mostly not fortunately.

I keep him shut in henhouse until after 8, although on a couple of occasions he has crowed whilst shut up.

When I have forgotten to shut him up it's not made much difference, he tends to crow on beautiful warm sunny mornings (not much of them recently maybe why he's not singing in the morning).

Will not get rid of him unless have too many complaints from neighbours as we all love him particularly my 6 yr old daughter (she always likes boys).  

So far neighbours have been good humoured about him ( luckily he's not an early riser & only goes on for a few minutes).  Have brought him in the house when he crows and soon stops - given 15 minutes he can go outside again without problem.  Makes some other cute noises, coos & warbles!  My girls (hens) love him, daisy flirts with him but he seems disinterested, polly gets all the attention and is bonked regularly and although she complains loudly (or is it hen for YES,YES,YES), she likes to cuddle up to him whenever possible.

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 21:19 »
Dirty Harry reallyhas got the hang of it too now.  He starts in the garden about mid day but I have heard him earlier fortunatly its a way up the garden to his house so with the double glazing we can't hear him, neither can our nearest house 9200yrds or more away) so thats good.

Buffy is bessotted and he has got the hang of the other  :oops:  so she is a happy chicken.  She has never laid so well!!

xx
cockerel crowing

Started by samuria on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2016, 22:31
by TashaH
xx
At what age should a cockerel start crowing?

Started by babe on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post November 06, 2007, 23:00
by mkhenry
xx
Bantams, cockerel crowing at 4am

Started by austenozzy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 21:18
by Foxy
xx
My cockerel no crowing at mo... should I be concerned??

Started by moomintroll on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 28, 2012, 20:19
by joyfull

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 36 queries.