Runner beans - Scarlett Emperor

• 10 Replies

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
Runner beans - Scarlett Emperor
« on: June 07, 2010, 11:21 »
I've got two rows of these on the go using 6ft canes for support but they don't seem to be growing upwards and have formed lots of tight little bushes, does anyone know this type of bean and if it does grow high or could I use shorter canes and plant more sugar snaps up the taller canes? The packet they came in does not mention anything about height.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Runner beans - Scarlett Emperor
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 11:31 »
Scarlet Emperor should grow to 6' plus.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 11:32 »
I always grow Scarlet Emperor and they do grow tall. Mine are making their way up my 8ft poles!
Firstly are you sure you haven't mixed up your beans and planted dwarf beans by mistake?  Its easily done .
Where did you buy them from? Its possible the supplier have placed the wrong beans in the packet.

Jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:39 »
I always grow Scarlet Emperor and they do grow tall. Mine are making their way up my 8ft poles!
Firstly are you sure you haven't mixed up your beans and planted dwarf beans by mistake?  Its easily done .
Where did you buy them from? Its possible the supplier have placed the wrong beans in the packet.

Jazz

I know I never mixed them up as they are the only beans I bought, I've never grown beans before and these were recommended as pretty easy. Guess I will just have to wait and see if they do take a spurt but right now it really looks like they are filling out instead. I can't even remember where I bought them!  ???  I'll leave them the big canes just now incase they are the real mccoy though. Thanks guys.

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:54 »
If they are not dwarf beans due to soem error perhaps in packing then something (frost ??) has caught the growing tips or they have suffered a check in being moved if started in pots etc. Leave them a while and see what happens. My Scarlet emperors are on the climb already from being planted out about 10 days ago. SE are a fairly distinct large well marked seed compared to the usually small and usually white or red dwarf seeds
R

crh75

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 11:56 »
Did the plants get any frost damage last month?  This may have damaged the tip so it is busing out.

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 12:04 »
I have the same problem with mine to, if the tip has been frost damaged should I start all over again?
I came I saw I grew my own veg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 12:05 »
No need, they will climb perfectly well from the next pair of shoots produced.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Spana

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 12:06 »
Also sounds to me as if you have lost the growing tips somehow.   Thats just what happens if you pinch them out to make bushy plants rather than tall ones if you haven't got the height to grow them tall.  Why not try another lot, its not too late.  Scarlett Emperor are long beans, if grown on short plants they will curl.  They will still taste ok but really runners need to be looonnnnngg and strrraigghhhtt :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 13:00 »
I always pinch mine out half way up the canes, so your got pinched out somehow a bit earlier. They will still climb it will just take them a little while longer, but it should still be quicker than starting again from scratch. If you would like a lot of beans it is common practise to sow another bean at the bottom of each cane.
I suppose this would cover all the options  :lol:

superluke2

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 13:33 »
Let them grow but plant another seed alongside. These will come as well and if the first ones are bushy the second ones will grow up on them and pass. I use 8' canes as well!

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
French beans and runner beans

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 13:19
by Thrift

Page created in 0.721 seconds with 30 queries.