creeping thyme to replace lost grass

• 2 Replies

turnip

creeping thyme to replace lost grass
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:26 »
Hi everyone,

my 3 lovely girls (2 ex batts aged 2  1/2yrs and 1 original girl from omlet  aged 4)have eaten every blade of grass and i'm thinking of of planting creeping thyme for them to walk on but hopefully not eat as i have other thyme plants in pots that they havent touched.

last year i re-turfed with grass which lasted a while , but thought the thyme may last longer, has anyone had any experience of this?   

Also i was thinking of getting bees from omlet do bees and the hens get on together ok? i don't want to upset my lovely girlies.   many thanks and much love from jenny(my original old girl) rosie, aka skeletor cos she was nearly oven ready when we first got her! and ruby aka hattie as she has a very floppy comb like a red hat xxxxxx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: creeping thyme to replace lost grass
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:35 »
mmm chicken already flavoured  :lol:
Think they would scratch it up in no time (bit harder when it's in pots although not impossible as I found out with my strawberries  :lol:). The only thing I can think of is just to keep buying rolls of turf every few weeks if you want greenery in your run.
My chickens chase butterflies and moths so they probably chase bees too, however if you put a 6 foot high screen around the hive this would direct the bees upwards and out of their reach. If you get bees though I certainly wouldn't plant thyme in the chicken are as they meay be attracted to the scent.
Staffies are softer than you think.

turnip

Re: creeping thyme to replace lost grass
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:57 »
Hi Joyfull,

thanks for this,

the thyme would be for the whole lawn as the girls are out in the garden all day but I may just stick to regular re-turfing and try a small thyme patch amongst it to test it out.

good idea to screen off the bee hive, will have to rethink the garden plan but it needs an overhaul anyway, I can feel a project coming on!  hope the girls dont mind still i can always bribe them with extra sweetcorn and cabbages!

ta! xxx turnip

xx
If eggs don't hatch can i replace eggs under broody hen?

Started by ---Snakey--- on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 08:20
by Sassy
xx
A sad lost

Started by em&hens on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 13:16
by Jellyhead
xx
just lost fav hen

Started by iowrooster on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 20:54
by grumpydad
xx
lost a hen, so mad with myself

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 09:32
by CattinJ

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 37 queries.