wobbly tomatoes

• 3 Replies

mollyblob

wobbly tomatoes
« on: June 06, 2010, 23:18 »
I'm growing a bushy variety of tomatoes (maskotka) in hanging baskets. I transplanted them into their final homes (1 per 14" basket with a couple of marigolds) a couple of weeks ago.  Because I wanted to harden them off a bit, I've been putting them outside in the day and inside at night.  All the moving around, plus the windy climate round here made me worry for them being blown/knocked over, so I tied them each to a little stick to support them.  But now I'm worried that they won't grow strong enough to support themselves- they're a bush variety after all, but when i unhooked them from their stick supports the other day they fell over (so were swiftly re-hooked on). 

Should I keep the sticks?  Gradually wean the tomatoes off them?  Or just stop stressing about my tomatoes and over-thinking things...?  ;)

Trillium

Re: wobbly tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 00:48 »
Generally, tomatoes in a hanging basket should do just that - hang, something it can't do if it's supported upright. Decide which way you'd prefer them and don't overthink it or it will drive you crazy  ;) If the wind bothers you, keep the baskets in a wind sheltered area.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 20:56 »
I've grown this variety for two years in baskets out the front, which can be windy they soom ok just remember to water well. They do trail a fair bit. I never liked tomatos much until I grew my own cherry ones which I love, enjoy growing and eating gardening is more of an art than a science.

Rach
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

mollyblob

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 20:58 »
The problem is, they're a bit taller than I anticipated... 2-3' each.  If I take the sticks away, that just leaves a great long stalk hanging off the basket, and i worry for the stalk snapping.  I'd somehow imagined bush tomatoes to be more, well, bushy!  Did I maybe let them get too leggy?  

If I let them flop over so precariously are they doomed?

Haha... who'd've thought veg growing involved so much stress?  :tongue2:

xx
Wobbly swedes.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2020, 18:18
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Best tomatoes

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 22:08
by funkydelia
xx
tomatoes !

Started by jay001 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 09:31
by AK9
xx
tomatoes

Started by juikelin on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2020, 17:43
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 31 queries.