Keeping chickens, a step futher - what does everyone think??

• 4 Replies

NATHAN

I have 3 chickens that provide me and my family with all the eggs that we could want. It has occured to me recently that my moral problems with battery eggs extends also to meat and i would very much like to be self sufficient in this regard as well.

I live in a fairly normal suburban house with an average sized garden and have an average amount of time to spend looking after chickens - all sounds very average dosen't it? Anyhoo i don't want to upset anyone and so therefore keeping a cock is probably out of the question. What is the minimum amount of hens that i can keep to maintain a viable supply of meat and eggs (ie, dont have to buy either from the supermarket). How do i get round the infertile egg problem. Can this be done by an average bloke in his back garden???

Any advice would be appreciated.

NATHAN

Just to clarify
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 15:43 »
When i asked, can this be done by an average bloke in his back garden, i was referring to keeping chickens in this way NOT fertilising eggs. :oops:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 15:44 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
This question is not my pigeon (or should I say chicken) Nathan.  But we have keepers here who produce meat birds.  I'm sure someone will come along soon with an answer for you  :D

deneview

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 10:02 »
i keep laying hens and thought about keeping broilers but it seems like a lot of trouble, and even more difficult without a cockerel- you would have to be able to get fertilised eggs and incubate or use a broody, or get day old chicks and raise them yourself. if you had space ie farmyard you could keep a flock of utility birds and cockerels and it would be relatively easy and natural reared but without that seems a lot of work.
also how prepared are you to deal with the killing plucking and drawing of the birds? not a pleasant task

nicky

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 15:43 »
I have thought about doing the same thing my self, I am lucky though to live in a rural area with lots of chicken keepers around.
Have you asked the person who supplied your chickens if they could let you have some  eggs or new chicks? The breeder my hens came from was very happy to help when I sugested doing th same thing, they may even help with the killing of the birds untill you  gain experience.A messy job but worth it I would think,you at least know what has been fed to your birds and the conditions they have been kept in.

xx
Step by step making a 'Tee Pee' suitable for a broody.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 20, 2008, 22:35
by Bodger
xx
Can any do a step by step guide to dressing a quail?

Started by kooringa on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 15, 2008, 12:27
by jimroden
xx
New to keeping chickens

Started by stanlmic on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 21:43
by andreadon
xx
Keeping Chickens

Started by Lilac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 19:53
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 36 queries.