chili and pepper advice please

• 6 Replies

chili

• Experienced Member
chili and pepper advice please
« on: June 05, 2010, 11:03 »
here goes, 1st time i have grown these types of plants i have 1 chili and 1 yellow pepper both plants are about 8" high look healthy and are in a 3" pot. They are both indoors.
what should i do to make sure they live
should i repot them?

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
Re: chili and pepper advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:33 »
Sorry for adding to your thread but can someone also advise whether it's worth trying to germinate more chillie plants now as I lost a lot of mine earlier in the year and only have 3 left? I had great plans to use up loads of chillies and now won't have the loads that I thought I would.  :(

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:47 »
If the roots are oming out the bottom then repot them but don't go up too big a pot at once. Pot them up gradually.

@Siouxfly  If you've got room to keep them all inside, they'll fruit/ripen in the house. Otherwise you'll run out of warm weather outside if you start from seed - better to buy plants.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 11:52 »
here goes, 1st time i have grown these types of plants i have 1 chili and 1 yellow pepper both plants are about 8" high look healthy and are in a 3" pot. They are both indoors.
should i repot them?

Even though chillies and peppers are pretty undemanding they aren't going to love you if you leave them in a 3" pot!

Easiest way with two plants would be to plant them both in a trough, about a foot apart; otherwise I would suggest a 6" pot as the absolute minimum (and then only if it is clay pot; these plants can get quite large and could easily fall over.)

Sorry for adding to your thread but can someone also advise whether it's worth trying to germinate more chillie plants now as I lost a lot of mine earlier in the year and only have 3 left? I had great plans to use up loads of chillies and now won't have the loads that I thought I would.  :(

My feelings are that it is too late to start from seed now; could you buy plants from a garden centre?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 12:14 »

Sorry for adding to your thread but can someone also advise whether it's worth trying to germinate more chillie plants now as I lost a lot of mine earlier in the year

Bit too late really. If you can pick some up locally at a car boot sale or GC that would be your best bet. You could also try striking a cutting from one of the plants you have. Some variety take better than others but even then your going to be pushing it for peppers by the end of season.

Best to make the most of the plants you have - get them potted on 3inch pots aren't big enough at all ! A little TLC will go a long way.

should i repot them?

Go and get some Westland West+ compost (specific brand for a reason) and some perlite do an 80/20 mix and get them potted into 6 inch pots ASAP (never mind the roots at the bottom of the pot) Ideally you'll want them to end up in a flower bucket size pot, my are being potted on to these this weekend (Im late this year).

There have been a couple of threads recently on how to ideally grow peppers, follow them and you'll not go far wrong.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 23:22 »
I have a few overwintered from last year in 5/6 inch pots.  Kept in a really warm sunny windowsill.  They seem to love it. 8 red chillies on each the last time I checked  8)

So for my new ones this year, just forming chillies now, I am doing the same - not putting them in massive pots and just keeping them on the window sill.  Might trim the tops if they get a bit big.

chilli-pot

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 23:53 »
Once they start to flower, feed them once a week with Tomorite which helps increase yields....

xx
another chili/pepper question

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 20:36
by sunshineband
xx
more chili advice please

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 10:53
by chili
xx
3 questions: chili, chili and peat pots

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2007, 17:50
by mushroom
xx
Pepper advice

Started by Shaney D on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 12:16
by JayG

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 29 queries.