Leaf Miner out of control

• 18 Replies

oldcow

• Experienced Member
Re: Leaf Miner out of control
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 20:27 »
Stentman, what I'm doing is to check the plants daily and rub off the little clusters of white, thin eggs left by the leaf miners, usually on the lower part of the leaf. It seems to be stopping the invasion... You might damage the leaf a bit since the eggs seem to stick strongly to the leaf, at least if you don't find them immediately, but it's anyway less damage than the miners will do if they get out. At the beginning I kept finding may of them every time I looked, even if I checked several times a day, but the last couple of weeks I have found them only once.

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 20:55 »
I will continue to remove the pest were possible just a bit mystified how I got done. Hard to believe they over wintered 3 times on the off chance the house would be sold by the old owner and bought by someone who would want to plant beetroot were a kiddy trampoline was situated. They must have flown in over the standard 5' fence panel and gravel board combo in their droves just to infest two different places seperated by 3 rows of spuds plus a row parsnip and some leeks. Persistant beggars.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

PJB

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 22:25 »
I found severe attack of leaf miners on spinach beet this year.  After pinching off damaged leaves (or part leaf if slight damage) removed the white eggs from undersides using a very small artist's paintbrush and the strongest alcohol available (I had 96%).  This dissolves the glue which sticks the eggs on so they lift off on the brush - and should kill any eggs not removed. 
If this fail, there is always the rest of the booze to finish! :wacko:

PS In case a very small artist not available, a very small brush from a large artist will do.

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 17:25 »
Sigh... I just came back home after 10 days away, and I found that the leafminers have attacked my bok choy and the kailaan, to the point I had to remove most of the leaves. Quite a few leaves had fallen off, so I expect I now have larvae that will overwinter and attack any following plant I put there. How depressing...

xx
Leaf miner again

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 08:57
by tode
xx
Allium leaf miner !

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 02, 2022, 22:39
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Beetroot Leaf Miner

Started by Gail on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 19:30
by chcikenrunbec
xx
Alium Leaf Miner

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 27, 2023, 13:38
by New shoot

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 36 queries.