Polka raspberries

• 3 Replies

muncher

Polka raspberries
« on: June 05, 2010, 07:50 »
Hi there everybody,

I have a question regarding raspberry variety"Polka." I understand that they are mid to late season. Does this mean that they fruit on  last seasons canes or do they fruit on this seasons canes?

Muncher

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Polka raspberries
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 08:16 »
Welcome to the site, feel free to pop into the welcome sectionn for a proper hello  :D

As I understand it, autumn / late raspberries fruit on this year's canes.  But I don't actually grow them so if someone else comes along, believe them instead!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 00:53 »
I grow Polka They are Autumn fruiting on the canes that started growing this year. When they finish fruiting cut them down to the ground and they'll put up new shoots next Spring.
I am trying to get a double crop this year (experiment) I cut the canes in Winter leaving about half. This Spring they shooted on the old canes and will give me a Summer crop but the new canes are still growing from the base and they'll give me Autumn fruit. Gave them a good feed over the Winter because it could mean the Autumn crop is compromised but they've gone mad....masses of fruit coming soon and loads of healthy new canes!!!
Only thing is the plants are taking over the garden!!! You've got to be ruthless and pull out new canes that have strayed from the row. You can always start another row somewhere or give them away........
Polka is a fantastic raspberry variety. Mases of large fruits which taste wonderful and freeze well. And it doesn't need supporting much; just the odd bamboo cane.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 15:02 »
I want to buy some polka raspberry plants, can you sell me any?
No buying or selling is allowed on the forum.  If you do you run the risk of your account being deleted.  Please read site policies.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19481.msg99851#msg99851
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
Polka raspberries

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 23:12
by Livinhope
xx
polka autumn raspberries - why hardly any fruit?

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 14, 2015, 21:08
by Maarten
xx
Wonderful Polka

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 10:00
by Yorkie
xx
Raspberry polka

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 20, 2016, 21:26
by Yorkie

Page created in 1.093 seconds with 37 queries.