Fluctuations in potato growth

• 6 Replies

Ivor Backache

Fluctuations in potato growth
« on: June 04, 2010, 18:45 »
I have planted 3 rows each of Pentland Javelin (early) Kestrel 2nd Early Maris Piper (main)and Desiree (main)
In each case a trench was dug and in it a mixture of my own compost and horse manure which had been stacked for 6 mths.
During the frosty period they were hoed up and protected.
The first row of PJ is excellent, coming into flower, but the 2nd row looks as if it is a month behind.
In one row of kestrel, half is fully grown and the remainder are just small plants.
One row of MP  looks a paler green and not bushy like the other rows.
Desiree were planted later and all seem to be uniform and in good health.
The plants are not dying and there is no suggestion of disease, so the problem has to be in the soil.  Today I gave all the rows a feed of high potash fertiliser.
Has anyone experienced this problem or have any suggestions on what I need to do?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Fluctuations in potato growth
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 18:54 »
Funnily enough mine are the same.  All the soil and spacing have been treated exactly the same way (manure before planting, chicken pellets when planting). KE in the huge bed are flourishing, yet in another they are a lot smaller.  In another bed the Yukon Gold have only just started peeping and my gift of Golden Wonder from our very own Iain JBA are looking good right next to the YG

Ive just put it down to individual spuds being reluctant to show their faces before now!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 21:09 »
Same here my spuds were planted in the same row and all given the same treatment but are growing at different speeds. Some look close to flowering others are just poking through. My possible variables are drainage which could differ across the bed and the amount of direct sunlight each bit gets. From my crude observations and laymans guess work the bits that get most sun are doing better regardless of which bit drains best. Also I suppose each seed spud is an individual thing so will vary slightly from it's neighbours.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 22:45 »
It's probably down to differences in the way the varieties have responded to the funny spring weather. My kestrels are well behind the charlottes planted at the same time.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 08:31 »
Someone made a good point which I'd not really thought about - the size of the original seed tubers may make more of a difference than we realise
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:44 »
I have gaps in my rows this year - some of the seeds spuds have not shown at all. I use the same supplier and planting method each year so I'm putting it down to the shakey start to the season. The ones that are growing now look fine and healthy, if a little smaller than this time last year but they will soon catch up.

Charlottes are flowering, soon be time to furtle  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Ivor Backache

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 17:45 »
Thank you for your replies. It really needs a photo but I am still on film and it would take too long. The seed are all the same size. with the very small ones (earlies) growing in supermarket flower buckets. I can't compare those-they took a hit with the frost.
I shall monitor their progress after their feed. Perhaps it will correct the problem.

xx
Potato growth - problem ?

Started by argonaut on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2014, 17:14
by argonaut
question
strange potato growth

Started by binner on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 20:01
by binner
xx
Strange potato growth rates

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 09, 2015, 20:50
by heygrow
xx
New growth

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 21:16
by sloegin

Page created in 0.656 seconds with 37 queries.