dead fern tree what now

• 2 Replies

prakash_mib

dead fern tree what now
« on: June 04, 2010, 12:13 »
sad that my tasmanian fern tree is dead now  >:( >:( :(. I am trying replace with low maintanence, good looking, winter hardy fruit tree. Suggestions pls. The place gets sunshine for 6-7 hours in summer and very little in winter. A typical location for tasmanian fern tree  :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: dead fern tree what now
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 12:22 »
Have you tried soaking the fern for a few days? I believe that if you immerse them, they will often spring to life.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
Re: dead fern tree what now
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 13:15 »
A couple of dwarf root stock pears might fit the bill.  They are UK native trees so you can treat them mean, they and not as fussy and they grow better than cherry and plum trees.  I vaguely remember reading somewhere that some ferns can leave the soil a bit toxic (I might be wrong about this) so before you go and splash cold hard cash on a pear tree I'd make sure that something will grow in the hole left by your fern.

I have two dwarf pears on my perennials plot.  Last year was their first fruiting year and they gave us 10 fruits each.  Large juicy looking golden pears. (which were promptly stolen when we were on holiday)  The trees are at seven feet tall now since November 2007 and need some judicious pruning in autumn but other than that demand no more attention that your average apple tree.  Keep them clean of bugs, feed them occasionally and water them. 

Not sure I'd call pear trees good looking.  You can fan train them or something I guess.  You want good looking? Get your self an Acer, but that's a different forum.
 :)
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

xx
pear tree dead?

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 24, 2012, 19:28
by stephent
xx
How to tell if a tree is dead or alive.

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 12, 2012, 22:01
by gavinjconway
xx
I think the peach tree is dead! Advice please.

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 12, 2012, 19:22
by Judd
xx
Asparagus Fern

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 22:16
by Salmo

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 36 queries.