New Allotment area? - Bump of old thread - New development

• 38 Replies

sweet nasturtium

New Allotment area? - How close must it be? Admin etc..
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 21:20 »
My idea about getting another organisation involved was because they could take some of the initial costs of setting up on some kind of grant.  The council may be able to do the same thing.  Sometimes people like that (vco's and councils) just need a valid proposal and things take off.  I think it's great that you're thinking of doing this by the way.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
New Allotment area? - How close must it be? Admin etc..
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2007, 07:52 »
Good point..... but caution still gets the better of me on this... :?
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Re: New Allotment area? - Bump of old thread - New development.
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 10:31 »
Bump....

So I put our details on Land share and we may have some interest now.

I'm hoping that our interested party (who seem keen and very pleasant) may gather a group and that I can deal directly with the group as a self managing unit.

I think locals may be less keen if we describe this as "allotments" but if we are letting a group grow some veg they will probably look on it all more kindly.....

Anyway I'm now trying to find out if there are any legal hoops I might have to jump through.  Does anyone know?

Can this be just a "conacre" type of arrangement?
Are there change of Land Use regulations that anyone here has experience of implementing?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: New Allotment area? - Bump of old thread - New development
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 13:47 »
There was discussion about getting "change of use" (and potentially the fact that it was not required) in another thread just recently:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=35812.msg428128#msg428128

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 16:02 »
Many thanks - I've followed the link and printed out the document.  I just need to check that this applies to N.Ireland now! ::)

WARDDRU

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 17:35 »
Hi,
      Our allotment is 6 miles away from home. several people on our site travel similar distances. Plots were in demand and we reclaimed twelve plots from being overgrown and they were snapped up.

She who must be obeyed and myself call in for an hour after work the odd day ,and some full days at the weekend. I have rigged up a stove and portaloo,so we do not find it a problem being a good distance from home.
With a bit of planning and forethought there has not been a problem. In fact because the plot is nearer town than home, nipping of to fetch essential supplies is easier.
Hope that helps
                              Regards Wardy

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 18:43 »
My allotment is 18 miles away - what can I say?  I must be mental.  There is another site closer - only 12 miles away & a new one that they offered me first which is closer to home as the crow flies than the one I have but really awkward to get to from here.  Plus it wasn't a site so much as the corner of a field turned over & no amenities. I don't even remember seeing a tap, no fencing, lots of rabbits, no sheds & planning permission needed to erect one, couldn't get a vehicle onto the site so trying to get any manure etc. on to it would have been a nightmare & thinking about it, I think the plots were smaller than the one I have now - all in all, a big fail.    There weren't any plots available on the one that is a bit closer to home (if you call 12 miles close) but I tend to work mostly in Aberystwyth where the site is so I can nip in at lunch times or after work so it's not as horrendous as it seems.  I would dearly love a plot that was close to home but it doesn't look like anyone wants to part with a bit of land.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 06:26 »
Thanks for the replies folks.  Interesting that some of you do travel......
I'm still progressing this.  (Any South or East Belfast readers looking for a plot?)

Teabag

Re: New Allotment area? - How close must it be? Admin etc..
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 07:50 »
Mine is a 10 minutes walk away, (25 minutes if with the children) and 3 minute drive. This was a factor when getting an allotment as we only have one car. There are 6 plots behind our house and another site about 8 minutes away but they had waiting lists.

Bristol has loads of allotment sites and do promote them and support them with a recent 1 million pound tidy up plan.
i wish they had spent some of that money on mine little sweetpea !!!getting there though

xx
Windswept allotment area!

Started by Harricot Vert on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 22:54
by peapod
clip
Advice on burnt area of allotment

Started by zinnia21 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 24, 2023, 11:01
by coldandwindy
xx
New Garden, Raised Beds, Greenhouse and Allotment area - where do I start !

Started by lowermeadow on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 09:38
by John
xx
bulb development

Started by Nick36 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 14:50
by Salmo

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 37 queries.