Duck flooring help please!

• 8 Replies

lisacj

Duck flooring help please!
« on: June 04, 2010, 09:21 »
Hello, I have 11 gorgeous ducklings in my duck shed, and currently they are living very happily on wood shavings, but since they play with their water so much, I'm having to muck them out every 2 days  :( I've read that ecopetbed is better becuase t's more absorbent and can be composted (I hate throwing all the wood shavings away). Does anyone have any experience of this or any other ideas? I'd love to be able to only muck them out once a week like I do with my hens!

Thanks so much

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Duck flooring help please!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 09:32 »
I think if they are splashing about so much that whatever you use will get wet too much to keep for a week. I use hemcore which is highly absorbant and composts down quickly. Can you not section off the water area with a plank of wood and then put some plastic sheeting down under the water container with some shavings on top of this so then you have a smaller amount of shavings to replace?
Staffies are softer than you think.

lisacj

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 09:48 »
Thanks for such a quick answer! I'll certainly try to section it off a bit, that would definitey help  :) I think I may also try hemcore - I'd feel better composting than just throwing the shavings away in bin bags  :(

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 10:51 »
Hi I have deleted your other post (this one had already been answered) as you were asking the same question, this way it will be easier to see the answers you get  :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:55 »
Hi.

I generally use hemcore which I love! It is so much more absorbant than wood shavings and composts down in a fraction of the time. I have used aubiose too and that is very good too. Tend to use hemcore as that is what's available near me rather than it is better but would never go back to shavings!

Unfortunately ducks are mucky little things and while you have ducklings in a shed on any bedding, mucking out is going to be an almost daily thing rather than weekly. Once they are out during the day in summer mine really only go into their house to have a nap and lay and the bedding stays fresh fir weeks.
In winter when they are in a lot more of the time it gets terrible really quickly. As they poo on it and trample it down you get a sort of crust on the top of the bedding (sounds revolting and I'm not describing it well). With the hemcore all you have to do is scrape this top bit off every day or two (bit like poo picking with hens) bung it in the compost, leaving the fresh stuff underneath behind. Give that a stir up to stop it getting impacted and if it starts looking a little thin just add more bedding. Every week or so do a proper clean out.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

lisacj

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 17:49 »
Just got back from buying my hemcore! I'm looking forward to trying it out, and certainly to composting it  :D thanks for the quick advice - this really is the best forum I've found!

Jemimapuddleduck

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 19:20 »
Hemcore sounds really good, I hadn't heard of it until tonight....where is the cheapest/best place to buy it? :)
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 19:48 »
You get it from horsey places (check out hemcores own website and see if you have a local supplier), the bale will say wet it but that is if you are using it for horses - do not wet it for chickens. I pay £9.20 a bale for mine.

Jemimapuddleduck

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 19:13 »
Thanks Joyfull.  :)

xx
1 aylesbury duck with 1 runner duck

Started by thedalaisheep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:29
by joyfull
xx
Run flooring

Started by Rasco on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 14:34
by DannyBoy230
xx
flooring for mud

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 14:13
by chirpycheepcheep
xx
what flooring for the run

Started by sued on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 16:48
by sued

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 37 queries.