NOISY CHICKENS

• 11 Replies

jools

NOISY CHICKENS
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:08 »
I have 2 chickens and recently they have started crowing so loudly in the early hours(5am!) when one of them is in laying. Are they lonely? I have funny neighbours so I am often seen running out in dressing gown across lawn to ask them-the chooks, to put a sock in it  :roll: Can anyone give me some advice as I don't want visit from neighbour and don't want to get rid of chooks either as I love them to pieces.
Hi, I have 2 chickens- Hettie and Mabel who I adore- I also have a husband and 2 children and the chooks are very much part of the family. I lost one of our original chooks-Betty and was devastated, but Mabel is making up for it, but isn't as friendly.

eggs on legs

NOISY CHICKENS
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 15:10 »
Bribe the neighbours with free eggs.
 :shock:
Cherie always says:
"A boiled egg in the morning is hard to beat, but then what does she know about anything".

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
NOISY CHICKENS
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 15:49 »
Hi jools,  Welcom to the forums  :D

I make my chooks stay in bed until a reasonable hour in the morning, about 7 a.m. this time of year, (8 in the winter).  They never shout until after they have stretched their legs and had their breakfast  :D

jools

noisy chooks
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 21:54 »
Hi, thanks for responding. If I'm honest they first started this when I used to lock them in at night, so to try and stop that I left the door open( I have an eglu in a very secure foxproof bespoke(Ha Ha) run) as I thought they were crowing cos they were frustrated at being kept in when the sun was up and there were worms to be had. I don't want to cover the eglu so they can't see its light as I don't want to block the ventilation, but I will try closing them up tonight. Other methods I have tried is tying some brocolli up so its there when they get up so they are distracted, but I'm worried that may start attracting other beasties and as soon as they have pecked it from its string they're not bothered any more. They will stop if you go out and talk to them but its getting alla bit tiring! :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
NOISY CHICKENS
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 22:20 »
I'm surprised they are shouting when in their eglu as my chooks stretch their necks up to shout and the eglu does not give much head room.  You might have to try ignoring them for a few days and leave them shut in until later.  (warn the neighbours and don't choose a week end)

I find chooks are very good at twisting you around their little clawed toes  :roll:

jools

noisy chickens
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 21:40 »
Hi Aunt Sally, well I closed them up last night and only got woken at 6.30-marginally better I suppose and there was an egg waiting so maybe its a declaration!!!. Its like the children-controlled crying!, who'd have thought that something with such a wee brain could be so clever! I do love them though. :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: noisy chickens
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 21:49 »
Quote from: "jools"
who'd have thought that something with such a wee brain could be so clever!
I only have one chook at present and she is very inteligent ( small brain indeed  :roll: )

Today I washed my douvett and pillows and hung then on the line to dry, the sunshine was VERY hot and the sky clear.  I'd left the kitchen door open and at about 6 o'clock there was a  "boc-boc-boc-boc" from the kitchen.  Hattie was standing in the kitchen telling me it had just started to rain - Clever girl  :D

jools

the chooks
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 20:34 »
Wow, she sounds more capable and thoughtful than my husband who would never dream of being so helpful! does she do ironing? :lol:

Fat Hen

Re: the chooks
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 17:34 »
Wow, she sounds more capable and thoughtful than my husband who would never dream of being so helpful! does she do ironing? :lol:

Does your husband :?:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: the chooks
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 17:36 »
Quote from: "Fat Hen"

Does your husband :?:  :lol:
My husband does  :!:

calli

• http://greenwelliesbalertwine.myfreeforum.org/index.php
NOISY CHICKENS
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 18:43 »
Only his suit trousers - for some reason I can't do them well enough :wink:

I really should rush through the shirts a bit - the odd crease left :lol:

jools

noisy chooks
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 10:04 »
yes my hubby does ironing- way better than me, but there has to be football on the tv. so am bit stuffed, mind you the crickets on....
on subject of chooks. I am so knackered with these early starts, even hanging the brocolli out didn't work this morning and staggering across the garden with a hangover at 6am is really no fun :cry:

xx
Noisy chickens

Started by Lizziechick on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 08:13
by symonep
xx
Noisy chickens

Started by bubbles108 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 02, 2012, 08:28
by little brown hen
xx
Noisy chickens.

Started by shay on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 15:27
by joyfull
xx
Noisy chickens on a morning

Started by SamT on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 08:36
by SamT

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 36 queries.