Broody and hen-pecked... please help

• 7 Replies

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
Broody and hen-pecked... please help
« on: June 03, 2010, 16:08 »
I've been away from the computer for what seems like ages as two Jack Russell pups have joined the menagerie so as you can imagine very little time for anything else!  :) The girls are all doing fine (touch wood) that was until Dandelion went broody around a week ago. She's full blown broody, won't leave the nest, bare chest patch, crowing at the other girls when they come near her etc. I've put her in a large wire dog crate within sight of the other girls and inside the large run. She's been in for five days now, mainly for her own protection as Cowslip and Primrose had started attacking her, they had pecked at her comb and made it bleed  :(. Sweet Pea is living up to her name and just plodding around taking no notice. I've been letting Dandy out of the cage at bedtime so that she can go into the coop to sleep as I can't take chances with Mr Fox, he just might get into the big run or walk by and frighten her to death. I've also been misting her broody patch with water hoping to cool her down. She'd quitened down a little over the last couple of days so I've tried her back with the girls, keeping the coop pop hole closed to stop her going straight back on the nest. My biggest worry now is that the two top girls are making a beeline for her, trying to attack her. She then makes even more noise etc which in turn makes them all the more determined to have a go at her. Any ideas would be so welcome as I no longer know what to do for the best.

Thank you, Jan.x 

Henlady

• Experienced Member
Re: Broody and hen-pecked... please help
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 19:27 »
I'm in the same boat only it has been going on for about 2 weeks now, one of my other hens chases her when we take her out.  I'm trying to keep her locked out of the hen house after the other hens have laid.  She is quite happy being picked up but mopes about and tries to get back in the house.  I must say she is very dedicated so may get some eggs for her next time.

My hens are only about 8 months old is this too young to look after chicks?

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 20:57 »
It's such a worry isn't it Henlady as it's stressful enough for a hen to be broody let alone being attacked by other girls who were once so friendly. Dandy is happy being picked up too and seems to get some comfort from the contact. I would get her eggs to sit on but what to do with any cockerels that might be in the clutch?

Not too sure about 8 months being too young to look after chicks but wouldn't have thought it was?

Best of luck with your broody girl, Jan.x

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 11:59 »
She's still broody and I'm worried that we are going to lose her. She's eating so little, has gone off everything except a few dried oats. I put her in the crate every day but she just squats down on her food dish. I'm wondering if there's anyone we could take her to who could maybe put her with chicks and snap her out of it? She's lost so much weight and the others (except Pea) are still trying to attack her when I get her out under supervision  :(

Jan.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 12:38 »
Does the crate have a wire bottom?  Is it lifted off the ground to let the air circulate underneath her?

For food and water you can use the clip on D cups you get for caged birds so there is literally nothing to sit on.

Don't let her out to st on anything comfy.  On a night put the crate inside the hen house (on bricks or similar)

If it is warm out, you may want to try giving her a cold bath (about vent high) to cool her underside.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 12:45 »
There's two possible reasons she's being "attacked".  The most likely is that the other hens are telling her to get back on the eggs.  Once a hen goes broody she assumes the role of egg hatcher and matron and the others make sure she sticks to her task and if she's away from the nest they will give her a pecking to drive her back.  The other possible reason is that if a chicken is away from the rest of the flock even for a few days they will still re-establish the pecking order by all pecking her.  Both these behaviours are perfectly normal so no need to worry your chx have turned on her particularly

Two things you can do isolate her in the dog cage so the others can't peck her which will just reinforce her broody behaviour.  The cage should be raised off the ground as if she's still able to sit then then it doesn't work as well.  This way she's cooled underneath too.  Traditional broody coops had slatted floors to force them to perch which wouldn't be as alien as mesh.

The other is let it run it's course and let nature do the trick but it can take over three weeks of lifting her at least once a day.

Don't be over concerned she will starve , she won't.

HF

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 00:24 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 16:37 »
Thank you both, I feel there's a chance she'll be fine now.

Casey, the crate does have a wire bottom but its touching the ground, she looked so stressed when I lifted it off the ground as she tried to step around with wires in her way, I will try it again though as it seems as if that's the idea to stop her sitting. I had tried spraying her to cool her down with a misting bottle but she only has to see it now and goes mad. I'll try the cool bath as it's really hot here today.

Hillfooter,  the other two girls had pecked at her comb so badly that it was bleeding and raw in places, it has only just healed properly. I imagine it is the pecking order thing as the two top girls were responsible. Will keep her in the cage as suggested to stop them getting at her but make it less comfortable in there for her. I'm so re-assured that she won't starve as that's what was really worrying me, she seems so 'light' compared to the other girls.

Jan.x

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 00:35 »
Casey, the crate does have a wire bottom but its touching the ground, she looked so stressed when I lifted it off the ground as she tried to step around with wires in her way, That's why a slated floor is better really.  If you have a removable perch which is arranged as a row or 'grill' of perching bars that you can borrow from the house, put this on the floor which she'll find easier to walk on.  A small section of scrap, square grid trellis will also do the trick

Hillfooter,  the other two girls had pecked at her comb so badly that it was bleeding and raw in places, it has only just healed properly. I imagine it is the pecking order thing as the two top girls were responsible. Use Gentian spray on her comb which is an anti septic and a fungicide and will also discourage pecking the blood.  It's a purple spray and you should use rubber gloves and old clothes as it's very staining.

HF

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 00:43 by hillfooter »

xx
hen pecked

Started by denise and joe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 12:21
by lucylou
xx
help - hen pecked!!!!!

Started by c3 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 18:34
by c3
xx
Hen pecked

Started by Pavlodge on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2014, 21:56
by barley
xx
A pecked at hen

Started by shoppingqueen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 03, 2008, 15:42
by Vember

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 37 queries.