Jessica's got a tumour

• 36 Replies

Pretty Chick

Re: Jessica's got a tumour
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 10:09 »
Well done andrea for making that descision, it's a tough one  :(.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:11 by Pretty Chick »
All lives are precious.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 10:25 »
Sorry we had to be so hard on you yesterday Andrea but we all knew she was in a really bad way and suffering a lot. We've all been there and it's a place we all have to be prepared for if we want to keep animals.

It is our duty to do what is best for them even when we don't want to because of our own distress.  The animal comes first !

We were all upset for you yesterday and thank you for being brave and taking her pain away.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 11:24 »
i know you were - i suppose that's one of the reasons i posted here - i knew you'd make me do it.

Thank you, i'm sure Jessica was glad of it too.

I've made a thread in Chat with some pictures.

Jeanette

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 11:52 »
You have done the right thing and the only thing that could be done so be proud of yourselve for making a very difficult desision. I am sorry that we seemed so hard on you yesterday.xx

Jemimapuddleduck

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 19:33 »
Sending hugs....you did the right thing.  Just been looking at the lovely pics of her, she was a beauty and had a lovely life with you.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 21:36 »
I know what you must be going through after having to have one of my favourites put to sleep last week. She got into the garden after pulling some wire out of the way, wandered around and stood on a rat trap that broke her leg in 2 places. She sqwauked a bit, wasn't trapped and I found her hopping merrily around on one leg. She was at the vets within 20 mins who said it was such a bad break that he couldn't do anything for her. By now she seemed to be going into shock as she was gasping for breath, so I just held her gently whilst she had the injection and I spoke to her, thanking her for the eggs over the last year and saying that she would soon feel easier and off she drifted. I felt guilty about the trap, but it had been well out of the way and they are never allowed in the garden but stay in their large fenced area in a field next to the garden.

However about 4 months ago I had noticed that one chicken seemed a bit subdued as you put it. I decided then just to keep an eye on her during the day. Unfortunately later that day I found her dead in the run, no visible signs of injury or disease.

I felt more upset about that one, thinking that she must have suffered and vowed never to wait and see again and I wouldn't want anyone  to have that sort of guilt trip. You made the right decision for your pet by taking her to the vet. Next time, and there will be a next time if you continue to keep chickens, you will know what you must do. Doesn't make it easier for you, but it does for them x.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 16:34 »
aw, thanks Tazzy.

What a sad story about the break, and the 2nd chicken. :(

Thank you for sharing it with me.

question
Lump?? Not Eggbound------- Tumour!!

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 16:49
by Prod
xx
Ancona/Tumour Mystery

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2012, 13:11
by Prod
xx
Impacted crop/tumour?

Started by Ice on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 09:23
by jhub

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 36 queries.