Celeriac question

• 8 Replies

ex-cavator

Celeriac question
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:12 »
I sowed a tray of celeriac - giant prague - in John innes seed compost about 3 weeks ago in my conservatory. They germinated really quickly, just a few days, but haven't really done anything since - they're still only about 1cm tall. Am I doing something wrong or are they generally slow?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Celeriac question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 12:23 »
They are slow and I would normaly start them back in march. They need a long growing season to develope.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Babstreefern

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 12:26 »
I agree with Aidy.  I started mine back in February/March, and are now in the ground and are about 6/7cms tall, so yes, I think it may be a little late to start them now.  But do try anyway, you never know, and keep us informed if they achieve anything.  You may get them later in the year
Babs

ex-cavator

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 17:49 »
Oh, Well - just a newbie, I'll be learning by my mistakes  ::)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 17:53 »
Oh, Well - just a newbie, I'll be learning by my mistakes  ::)
We all are, its a big learning curve.

earthing83

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 18:46 »
I say stick with them! Mine were tiny for ages then a couple of weeks after potting on they shot up...well to 6 inches!

ziggy66

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 20:44 »
Agree - stick with them. As they say "two chances"

I think that one of my big mistakes this year was to use John Innes No1. I  though that this would be the best because it is low in nutrients to encourage root growth. But all the seeds I sowed in it only got so far then stopped. Once I potted on into something with a bit more oomph my celairiac have not looked back. Going into the ground this weekend (as long as I get the ground weeded and prepared first)!

Next year I will be sowing my seeds in something with a bit more nutrients to get a faster start.

pairofacres

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 20:45 »
I sowed loads quite early in the year and found the same thing. Thought it was the weather initially. I then transplanted them into undrained trays (actually Tescos ready meal trays :) ) After doing so, I found that if I kept them very wet, so the soil was practically boggy, they really took off.

ex-cavator

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 23:16 »
Like I say, along with my lad with whom I'm sharing a plot, I'm a newbie. This growing lark is brilliant. I don't expect we'd be successful with everything straight off, we'll make shedloads of mistakes but learn by them. It's just great to see that some things at least are doing well - the cabbages & brocolli, the garlic, onions & leeks, beetroot & radish.

Others, such as carrots and broad beans are doing, well, OK-ish. And then runner beans and sweetcorn have been a disaster.

But the beauty of it is, I can try growing whatever I fancy - I've never eaten celeriac and wanted to give it a try. OK, so I might be late and they might run out of growing time - but, Hey! - lots of little celeriac probably taste at least as good as one big one, and a packet of seed probably cost no more than one celeriac head / bulb / whatever you call them out of the supermarket  8)

xx
Fustrated and celeriac question

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2008, 16:13
by Lynne
xx
Gardeners Question Time re Celeriac

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 02, 2013, 16:03
by arugula
xx
Celeriac

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 27, 2007, 16:20
by noshed
xx
Celeriac

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 11, 2013, 18:32
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 36 queries.