Overenthusiastic Hoe'ing

• 17 Replies

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
Overenthusiastic Hoe'ing
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:42 »
 I havent been to my plot for nearly a week due to work commitment. When i got there this morning the weeds had moved in with avengance. So out came the hoe & I went to work on my sweetcorn bed.
 Unfortunatly I got a bit too hoe'd up & cut down a sweety whildt doing it. I still have 50 odd plants in there but i feel awful about it lol.
 Anyone else ever had hoe-rage before?   >:(

I generaly just stick things in the ground green side up.

prakash_mib

Re: Overenthusiastic Hoe'ing
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:51 »
I did ravaged couple of winter onions when I was a hoe trainee! but now a days I keep pulling them by hand as the weeds have gone lesser and lesser  :). It takes time but I enjoy pulling them.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

madcat

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:05 »
Took out most of a row of parsnip once  :( ....  have never been allowed to forget it!   ::)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:49 »
I've found I'm not very good with a hoe.   :ohmy:

So I tend to hand weed around plants and hoe bigger areas.  More time consuming but I get more weeds out.
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 11:42 »
friendly fire as we like to call it!! one year i planted 30 garlic cloves, i marked the area with some canes so i knew where they were, along comes hubby, moves the canes and proceeds to rotovate the plot!!! i managed to find about 20 of them and replant them.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:35 »
Managed to hoe off my one and only oca plant thought it was a clover plant - DOH
Paul

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 17:31 »
Beans.  The hoe is just strangely attracted to the stems  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 17:37 »
The one and only outdoor cucumber plant I got to germinate last year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 20:10 »
Yup, I hoed a couple of my skinny lil leeks, thought they were blades of grass, lol!

Yesterday I hoed 2 metre of my row before I realised my weeds were actually little broccoli seedilngs!

Herbie
herbiegrowsbananas

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 20:26 »
friendly fire as we like to call it!! one year i planted 30 garlic cloves, i marked the area with some canes so i knew where they were, along comes hubby, moves the canes and proceeds to rotovate the plot!!! i managed to find about 20 of them and replant them.
Hey at least your hubby helps you on the plot!
 :D

solway cropper

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 21:54 »
Try block planting or square foot gardening...you don't need a hoe then  :)

deannatrois

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 22:28 »
I'm rather glad that as of today.., I haven't actually got a hoe .., yet lol

But I've read the stories out to my OH.., no doubt this is in store for one of us in the future lol (new allotment owner so I'm practically living on this forum when I'm  not digging, picking up stones or planting). Its 10pm and I've only just gotten in, having been raking the surface stones up by streetlight.  Gawd help me when I get a hoe.., I'll probably denude the entire allotment lolol.

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 23:54 »
Me too, I need my specs on to weed properly and even wearing them I stil can't see to the end of the hoe and have scythed no end of veg  :ohmy:.  I now hand weed and only hoe where I can't do any damage to the veg  :wacko:

I have an Ibis cultivator thing which is brill for weeding up close to onions etc but it does involve a kneeling mat and getting down amongst the veg. I have to get up every 10 minutes and walk around as I'm so achey these days

m1ckz

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 01:51 »
ive been looking for 1 of those cultivatoes  cant find where they sell them   can you remember where u got it,thanks mick

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 17:43 »
Ive just hoed one of my pumpkins  >:(
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 36 queries.