Pulling garlic

• 32 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Pulling garlic
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 17:41 »
hi trillium, that sounds quite a likely cause. The manuare was prebagged from a DIY shop, and the way the fungal threads are distributed it sure looks like they were in the manure first.

i will certainly try using a vinegar solution on them

now, this is the very first time ove grown garlic, so - now ive pulled it, what do i do? how do i dry it/ clean it etc etc?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Pulling garlic
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 21:04 »
ok, hopefully there should be a photo below of one of the bulbs, that you may be able to see the threads on. From what i can find out it may have been white rot starting to take hold. All the bulbs apart from one that i sacrificed to examine internally, are now hanging in the garage to dry

smells amazing in the garage! :D
theres quite a bit of soil stuck to them, but when i brush it off the bulbs do look ok

WG.

Pulling garlic
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 21:12 »
Reckon that is white rot (which is not good since it will stay in the soil until you join it there yourself).  Might be Botrytis which is less serious

Are they all affected?  How long have you grown in that land?  Have you grown onions successfully?

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Pulling garlic
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 21:31 »
this is the first time that particular patch has been cultivated. Onions did well last year only about 3ft away, and seem ok this year some 6ft to the other side. Oddly its just this patch, which is the only one that got the bagged manure on it!

most have some blackening around the neck, but only about 40% showed any real sign of the fungus.

so, i resolve myself to the fact ive got this. Now, how much affect will it have had? most bulbs when cleaned look useable, some are quite small. One of the larger ones i broke open and all the cloves seem fine

WG.

Pulling garlic
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 21:56 »
Use them first since I wouldn't expect them to store well (whether white rot or botrytis).

Avoid planting alliums in that spot

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Pulling garlic
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 22:21 »
heck, i love garlic but thats a lot to use! I counted 51 bulbs, two varieties. Might have to trade some in the canteen at work (theyve already got one of my growbags with tomato plants in it outside the kitchen!)

is there anything i can do to store it longer other than just drying? what about chopped in oil or something?

i will keep them and the onions off that patch. although not sure how im going to avoid it for the next 15years!

WG.

Pulling garlic
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 22:33 »
Quote from: "Zak the Rabbit"
although not sure how im going to avoid it for the next 15years!
It might only be botrytis.

Garlic can be pureed and frozen - use plastic tubs with lids or everything in your freezer will taste of garlic.  You can preserve in oil but I wouldn't recommend dong it with diseased bulbs.

Trading it to a big user is best ... maybe you can get free lunches from the canteen for it.

Annie

Pulling garlic
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 22:36 »
Storing in oil may not be a good idea as there is a risk of botrytis in anything not acidic stored in oil,so suspect garlic may not be a good bet.I over did the garlic last year,still have loads and asked the same question on a few forums and no one had any good suggestions so used ice cube trays and froze some crushed,some chopped and some sliced with a dash of wine,water would work,and they are good .Otherwise give to friends,bake whole bulbs(yum)or make garlic icecream! :lol:

WG.

Pulling garlic
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 22:37 »
botulism Annie means, I think

Annie

Pulling garlic
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 22:42 »
Oops!It`s the wine again,a slip of the brain... :oops:  :oops:  :wink: Thanks WG.

dawninspain

Pulling garlic
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 09:12 »
Annie - is there really a risk of botulism when you preserve in oil :?: I've never heard that before - thought it was dodgy meat you had to be careful of. Does anyone remember the murdering doctor with his jars of potted meat infected with botulism in 'Malice Aforethought'  :?:

I've got jars of chillis in oil in the fridge from last year - should I throw them away :?:

Dawn

Annie

Pulling garlic
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 10:53 »
There`s a lot of info if you google but no real explanation of why it is a problem in home preserving.Apparantly acidic things there is no problem with,I preserve lemons in salt and oil,and tomatoes don`t count as acidic.I top up pesto in the fridge with oil to keep it covered but have stopped chancing chillies and peppers as I used to because of my daughter.Don`t know if anyone else out there has better information.?

dawninspain

Pulling garlic
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 11:28 »
Thanks Annie - just googled the question and chillis are mentioned along with garlic as potentially a problem. Basil and other herbs are mentioned as well.

I'm really surprised as I consider myself quite well informed and I had never known about this.  Cookery books often talk about making herb oils just by infusing herbs in the oil and thats all.

I wonder if we should have a sticky in the Preserving Section about this - administrators/moderators what do you think :?:

Mine have been in the fridge all the time - I wonder if this makes a difference and they are not for eating raw but would be used in cooking.

In the meantime I must go and talk sternly to this years chilli plants (which have not been growing very well) to get on with it so that I have a crop to preserve safely later on this summer :!:

Dawn

WG.

Pulling garlic
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 11:29 »
Quote from: "dawninspain"
Thanks Annie - just googled the question and chillis are mentioned along with garlic as potentially a problem.
How about posting a few links please Dawn

WG.

Pulling garlic
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 12:19 »
I have pickled garlic in other years and it is very nice.  Not as strong as you might imagine.

xx
When do you know when Garlic is ready for pulling

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 15:18
by bigben
xx
pulling 2nd earlies

Started by Growing4mykids on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 11:50
by m1ckz
xx
Anyone pulling 2nd earlies yet

Started by Bozwell on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 00:08
by Paul Plots
xx
pulling up parsnips

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 22:50
by viettaclark

Page created in 1.21 seconds with 36 queries.