ants colonising up my fruit bushes.

• 5 Replies

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« on: June 18, 2007, 07:49 »
HELP!!!
I have 2 currant bushes in pots in the garden, I do have an ant problem generally in my garen (dig up nests all the time when putting bedding plants in.) mostly I leave them to it, but have been thinking about  action as they really are taking over. (nematoads for ants sound good to me!)

Anyway back to the currants, at the base of the stems on both plants the ants have taken loads of compost up the stem and coated it in the compost , it is crawling with ants, I knocked some of the soil off and saw a million greenfly, now I remember us all talking about ants using them as cows etc. but what the heck do I do with this lot?? I tried blasting with the hose but it has all reappeared, I tried  strong tea after blasting, but it has come back.... any other ideas before I resort to chemicals!!

Thanks

cluckingmad

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 12:47 »
You could try a good sprinkling of cinnamon powder over it - only problem the rain will wash it away.  Apparently they don't like the smell, it did work for me in my raised beds, but you have to keep reapplying it :x
Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty minutes.  No reward is offered for they are gone forever. (Horace Mann)

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:48 »
get a plastic tub with a lid, put load of little airholes in the lid

now, go for a long walk down country lanes, beside rivers etc, and collect as many ladybirds and their larvae that you can find, fill the tub with em!

then quickly get them home and release them all over the fruit bushes, to them it will be like being released from jail straight into an all you can eat buffet

then invest in some ladybug boxes for them to over winter in, and install these near the fruit bushes and anywhere else where aphids are a problem, so the bugs stay all year
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 12:52 »
Thanks Zak I will try the collecting lady bird thing, I have an insect house, it obviously didn't work.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 13:39 »
Sounds like you'll also need to treat the pots themselves like trees. Wrap some cloth strip tightly around the whole pot, overlapping the ends and pin them together. Don't knot! Then smear a thick layer of petroleum jelly over the whole cloth area. Or, if you can get it, use Tanglefoot. This will catch the ants before they can get into the pot soil or bush. It doesn't help existing ants, which I imagine simply fall back into the dirt when you hose them down, but it will greatly reduce others joining in. As for the bush itself, you might need to pull the whole thing out of the pot, turn it upside down and hose it down well. Also, inspect the soil ball to see if they're nesting in there. If so, then you might need to start with fresh plants and soil, but use the grease band technique once they're potted. If you do replace the bushes, I'd burn the old simply to kill all the greenfly and ants.

starmoonlilly

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 20:12 »
Only collect adult ladybirds, the larvae a cannibals. I did this some years ago and found only a few left when I home (out of about 20-ish)
Life is for living.....permaculture is for life.

xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog
xx
Fruit Bushes

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 20, 2007, 12:03
by WG.
xx
Fruit Bushes

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2014, 20:37
by mumofstig
xx
Fruit Bushes or not?

Started by Missie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 12, 2013, 23:23
by Missie

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 36 queries.