Broody Question!

• 5 Replies

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
Broody Question!
« on: June 02, 2010, 18:52 »
I wonder if anyone can advise please.
I've been avidly reading all the threads on broodies, and am a little concerned as
I have a broody silkie and a broody pekin. I have put them in a separate house, with
a secure run around it - as my other girls were going in and turfing out the eggs, and
laying their own in the nests (very cuckoo-like behaviour!)

Question is - do I need to separate the two broodies? I don't want them attacking each
others chicks when they hatch.  Theres about another 8 days before any possible hatching.

This is my first time at dealing with broodies...they are so dedicated its unreal! How do they manage not to starve themselves without someone dutifully turfing them of the eggs to let them feed and get a drink??  The little pekin is SO funny. She pecks at the food and gives lovely little squawks and paces frantically until she gets back to her eggs :)
Thanks!
Lukasmum

TeaPots

Re: Broody Question!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 19:03 »
yes, you are right, they do really need a separate area each. They can attack each others babies  :(

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 21:45 »
thanks Teapots! How old before the chicks are 'safe'? with the other broody and her chicks?!

Spana

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 21:53 »
If you have the two broodies together on nests now you may find they both sit on one nest and leave the other.   They wont care whos nest it is as long as they are sitting.

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 07:32 »
Funny you should mention that - they have swapped nests, but seem to be quite
settled where the are now.
One of my aracaunas was trying to sit in the nest with the pekin (and even had her wing over the pekie - quite cute!) but I turfed her out for disturbing them. Thats when I separated them.

I think I'll leave them where they are - but put a divider between the nests. I can use the rear cleaning door as a pop hole for one of them, and put another secure run at the back of the house.
Its quite exciting - the thought of being an auntie! I hope some of the eggs hatch after all this!

stan deakin

• Stan's Bantams
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:53 »
i remember somone once saying if you want somthing less stressfull than breeding try sky diving ha ha  ::)

stan

xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
Broody or not broody that is the question.

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 14:10
by nicky d
xx
Another Broody Hen Question

Started by heifer on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 21:39
by muntjac
xx
Broody Hen question

Started by ck2day on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 13:58
by ck2day

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 38 queries.