rhubarb...rhubarb

• 12 Replies

ron

rhubarb...rhubarb
« on: June 17, 2007, 22:08 »
hello there people.I have on my allotment large quantities of rhubarb which other holders seem to like !as the new chap on the block im a bit of a novice , I have noticed that the rhubarb is getting thinner in its girth so to speak :(   but just as long ,its not a red colour just green is it ok and can I pick it.
R.R.Frampton

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
rhubarb...rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 22:15 »
Yes it should be Ron, Sounds as if you rhubarb needs a good feed, plenty of manure in the autumn should do the trick.

Is it an established bed ? you might want to ease off on the picking, tell the others GYO :lol: you could always offer to sell/trade them a crown or two in the autumn.

And welcome to the forum Ron
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

ron

rhubarb...rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:34 »
CHEERS FOR THAT  :wink:

WG.

rhubarb...rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 13:12 »
Hi ron and welcome

ron

greenhouse on my plot
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 17:53 »
hi there people well my greenhouse is now up on my plot what would you suggest i grow from seed now, ive put my tomatoe plants in and a cucumber, ive done some spinach and some rocket seeds is it too late for me to try a melon plant or are they to hard to grow what do you suggest.

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
rhubarb...rhubarb
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 19:48 »
You still have time to get some brassicas going that will overwinter for early spring picking .. ie cauliflowers, PSB - purple sprouting broccoli and white SB, kales, cabbages sprouts etc ... most will allow you to sow in June early July ... that's what I am doing too  :wink:  

... Those in the north may say that I have left things too late but so far we have had very mild winters (which opens me up to other problems which I won't go into here !!)_

Other things to sow now ... salads, spring onions, carrots, beetroot, small turnips, chards, spinaches, sugarsnap and mange tout peas and even french beans ... mind you I am in the south in Herts so that might give me the edge !!  :D
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
rhubarb...rhubarb
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 19:51 »
btw ... with your rhubarb ... chop it up and brew it ... good stuff ... the guys here will be you the recipee I'm sure ... if not I have one  :wink:

... do you have goosegogs for wine and icecream too ???  :lol:

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
rhubarb...rhubarb
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 02:54 »
on the subject of rubarb.
whats best to take a bit off another plant and grow or do it from seed.if you did it from seed how long  untill you would be able to eat it

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
rhubarb...rhubarb
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 08:03 »
Quote from: "Little Miss Muffet"
on the subject of rubarb.
whats best to take a bit off another plant and grow or do it from seed.if you did it from seed how long  untill you would be able to eat it

Wait until late autumn/early spring. The 'crown' (big tuberous roots), can then be split & divided.

Plant them with plenty of manure & off you go!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
rhubarb...rhubarb
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 13:45 »
thanks dd my dad has a mature rubarb plant and we were hoping to get it off there.when we moved in to are new house there was a old tin bath in the garden which we thought would be perfect for rubarb

ron

rubarb
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 16:30 »
thanks for the rubarb tips eveyone ,I might try the wine ?mmm. and yes about the gooseberry bushes I have about 5 which I have to cover so the pigeons cant get to them,plus eveythink else that grows. I have another question I like pickled beetroot but how do you  cook it???

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
rhubarb...rhubarb
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 16:51 »
I just boil OH's beetroot long and slowly til they are nice and tender, leave til cool, then just take the skin off, it rubs off very easily.  Leave the root and the stalk bit on while cooking, or they bleed too much and aren't as tasty.

ron

rhubarb...rhubarb
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 09:51 »
thanks grannieanne,I will try that now

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Do I have to do anything to rhubarb?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 18, 2010, 14:14
by hamstergbert
xx
rhubarb

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 17:42
by mumofstig
xx
Rhubarb

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 15, 2014, 20:08
by salmonking

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 36 queries.