What has been your best buy?

• 17 Replies

Elcie

What has been your best buy?
« on: June 01, 2010, 19:20 »
I was just thinking how pleased I am with the plastic growhouse I bought for £10 earlier in the year.  When I first got it I put it inside my unheated greenhouse and kept it zipped up to germinate a variety of seedlings.  Then it was unzipped during the day and zipped at night!  Now it is outside of the greenhouse in a sheltered spot and being used to harden off my squash and outdoor cucumbers.  I am also thinking of using it inside the greenhouse again in the winter to grow some lettuce etc.  Well worth the initial outlay and may even stretch to two next year!

So, what has been your best buy and why?   :D

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: What has been your best buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 19:40 »
my best buy was my shed its like a second home  :D  6X8 £299

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 19:57 »
my 7 mini tray window ledge heated propagator thingy :)

It really does make a difference to germination for a lot of stuff.
It was in a Garden Direct sale 3 years ago for £19...I jumped at the chance, and have never regretted it.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 20:12 »
Not a buy so much as a build, but the unheated lean to GH my OH made me a couple of years ago is a godsend for the amount of chillies we grow

Also, my carrot and snip veg bed in my garden wasnt cheap, but I LOVE it  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 20:16 »
My cheap clone felo No 2's - bought on special from T&M for £2.99.  3 years on and they're just as good as new.

fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 20:18 »
Apart form my garden fork my very best buy was a three pronged cultivator that I got from homebase for a tenner. I use it with an axe movement, it is brilliant and breaks up the soil and gives me a nice fine tilth.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

gypsy

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 20:21 »
The poly tunnel / greenhouse that an allotment neighbour designed and built for me last year out of new timber, recycled windows and new polythene. I was the labourer. 16 foot by 8 foot approx. So much better than my piddly little greenhouse.
Catherine

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 20:23 »
Hi Gypsy, what site are you on? Im heasandford   :D

gypsy

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 20:25 »
Apart form my garden fork my very best buy was a three pronged cultivator that I got from homebase for a tenner. I use it with an axe movement, it is brilliant and breaks up the soil and gives me a nice fine tilth

Yes they are good, I inherited one with a broken handle, it was on my plot when I took it over. I just left it there for ages, nearly threw it out, then one day I put a new handle on it, tried it and found out  just how useful it is.

gypsy

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 20:26 »
Hi Gypsy, what site are you on? Im heasandford   :D
Reedley Hallows  :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 20:30 »
A couple of my mates are on there...Fay and Brent. Haven't seen them in a while, say hi for me? (Paula)

Nice to see a Burnley resident here  :D

(sorry to hijack  :blush:)

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 21:12 »
my debris netting by far. blooming pidgeons had a right go at everything last year and the amount of cabbage whites was unreal :tongue2:
first year grower

RichardA

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 21:41 »
I built a 6 foot by three foot propogator bench out of scrap but paid what seemd a lot for the heating cable and thermostat. Year after year it has done everything I have asked of it and it really gives me interest in the colder months and gets me tons of plants ready for a good start come planting out time. Really gives me lots of pleasure as the season starts to open up.
Debris netting gives a lot of help though in keeping pests off and simpler stuff such as a few slabs for a decent path etc all deserve credit.
Biggest spend was a commercial sized poly tunnel - not sure if it will pay for itself but is a good  place to be working when the weather is less kind.
Saving money is great but enjoying one's hobby deserves some input occasionally just because ..............................
R

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 21:57 »
without a doubt, the crystal palace i call my greenhouse - 65 quid of ebay...bargain :)

having said that tho', when i bought it, i thought, 8x6 thats plenty for what i need........thinking about getting another one now ::)

gypsy

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 22:49 »
A couple of my mates are on there...Fay and Brent. Haven't seen them in a while, say hi for me? (Paula)

Nice to see a Burnley resident here  :D

(sorry to hijack  :blush:)
Sorry do not know Fay and Brent

Page created in 0.506 seconds with 38 queries.