Braeburn problem

• 4 Replies

turnpike

Braeburn problem
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:55 »
I've got a 2 year old braeburn apple tree and although I'm not worried about getting any fruit yet (no flowering at all this year), I am a bit concerned that up to about a third of the leaves seem to curl and get a lot of white powder (mildew?) on them.

Now that the tree is a year older it seems to be coping with the problem better, but even so, does anyone know a good way to treat it? Other than just picking the worst ones off as I'm doing?

Thanks!

Trillium

Re: Braeburn problem
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 15:10 »
Is this what you see on your leaves?

http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ipm/alcm/research.html

If so, it's a problem found on young and young grafted trees. Use your favourite bug spray along with a few drops of lemon scented dishwash soap (bugs hate lemon) and spray.
The white powder problem is very typical of powdery mildew which is caused by the tree being too dry. It sounds wrong but that's exactly what it is. Carefully drive a long spike into the ground in various areas around the tree (and try not to hit any roots), and then water often. The spike holes will help more water reach the deeper root areas. Per watering, try to add about 5 buckets of water per tree at a time so it goes down deep rather than shallow which will create more shallow roots and a bigger problem for the tree.

turnpike

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 15:38 »
Thanks.  I'm not sure that the curling is quite like that photo.  I haven't seen those red bits and the curling is in one go rather than the edges only if you see what I mean.  Perhaps the curling is just young leaves and not a problem.  I'm guessing it's powdery mildew it's got and thanks for the watering advice.  I'll try to keep on top of it.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 18:43 »
Okay, then the leaf curling is another type of bug which cocoons itself in the rollup. I forget what the bug's name is but that happens a lot on younger trees due to their more tender leaves. The tree will eventually grow out of it, but either unroll and squash or spray insecticidal soap on them to discourage the population.

turnpike

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 19:22 »
Thanks Trillium.  I've had a look this evening and the tree does seem to be coping better now it's a year older but there's definitely a bit of curling and powder/fungi going on, it comes off on my hand so as you say I'll just bug spray and also just wash it off.  I've been pulling the odd leaf off but I think a wipe/wash might save those ones too.

Cheers!

xx
Braeburn not growing

Started by tomhayes215 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 21:48
by gobs
xx
Grape vine problem and pea problem

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 12:17
by Ma Lowe
xx
Tom problem.

Started by cabbagehead on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 12:22
by Plottered
xx
cat problem?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 11:30
by digby

Page created in 0.723 seconds with 37 queries.