peonies

• 4 Replies

Piccolo

• Experienced Member
peonies
« on: May 31, 2010, 23:27 »
My OH has come back with a question from a colleague from work - I don't know if its in a pot or in the ground but his peony is wilting.  Any ideas?  I've ventured that it could be lack of water or feed or, if its in a pot, it could be vine weevil.  What do you all think?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: peonies
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 23:48 »
I assume he hasn't moved / replanted / disturbed the roots in the last year or so?  They don't like that and can sulk?

Other than what you've suggested, nothing else springs to mind
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 03:29 »
Peonies can wilt from dryness, even in the ground. I've had that happen with a few of mine which were close to a big tree.

Before we can give a useful answer we'd need to know whether the peony is potted or in ground, it's general location to trees, shade, etc, how often does the person feed and/or water it, are the leaves blotchy or anything, etc. If you can give us that info, we can be more specific.

Piccolo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 23:41 »
OH got an update today which goes a long way towards explaining the problem....the peony is in the ground  which was soggy.  The person has now moved it to another area - out of curiousity would it have been better to have left it where it was and improved the drainage if possible? :unsure:

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 03:48 »
Yes. This is the worst time of the year to move a peony. The plant would have dealt with the excess moisture until it went dormant in the fall which would have been a much better time to move it. Now it will sulk for quite a while so best to cut down foliage to about 6" and keep watering until new leaf growth starts. Hopefully the owner has planted it at the very same depth, otherwise there'll be no flowers, ever.

xx
Potted peonies?

Started by tallulah on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 10:10
by tallulah

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 36 queries.