Bush Beans..how much is enough?

• 8 Replies

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
Bush Beans..how much is enough?
« on: May 31, 2010, 23:06 »
I've planted 5 Bush beans in an extra row (though one is a bit iffy).

I've never grown Bush beans before, don't know the variety as the seeds were a gift, but would like to know if 5 will give enough for a family of two and a few friends and neighbors.

Trillium

Re: Bush Beans..how much is enough?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 23:09 »
Depends on just how much you like beans. I plant at least 50 seeds every year and I never seem to grow enough for the 3 of us and the freezer. I'd plant more but haven't the space this year. Am solving that with a new raised bed for next year.

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 23:11 »
Trillium...50??!

What is your spacing? Your post makes me think I really don't know what I'm doing right now :)

Jabberwock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 23:43 »
Hi Irene,

I grew them for the first time last year and only planted 12 but it was nowhere near enough for the 2 of us,................ate the lot and never had any to freeze :(  this year I'm doing 3 times the amount and hoping that will suffice!! :unsure:

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 03:23 »
My green beans are strictly French filet beans such as Sutton's Kenyan. I prefer the slimmer pod with finer texture.

I space them about 1 to 1-1/2" apart, 25 seeds per row and about 8" between rows. It sounds tight but they do just fine and I get incredible cropping. The tightness provides shade for the roots, which holds in moisture and keeps out weeds. I keep them picked and when they show signs of slowing down I keep watering them and I get a final big flush in early fall. I've just built another raised bed out of scrap timber I got free this past weekend and I think I'll do more beans as 50 plants simply aren't enough for meals and freezing.

Runner beans, however are another story, and 6 plants will give me almost too many beans  :D

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 07:00 »
Last year was our first year we done around 20 this year more like 50 we plan to freeze them up.
Thanks
Kris

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 09:08 »
Thank you all for your replies.

I truly must ask the gentleman who gave me these seeds exactly what I am planting.

His instructions were to plant 2 and a 1/2 FEET apart. He even marked where the first two should go.

When Trillium answered "50" I thought "My goodness...how large is her garden!?". :ohmy:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:10 by Irene »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 10:01 »
2-1/2 ft sounds like the distance between rows of beans rather than between individual plants :)

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 14:51 »
TWhen Trillium answered "50" I thought "My goodness...how large is her garden!?". :ohmy:

Far smaller than I'd like, I can assure you  :D That's why I grow intensively on both mounded beds and raised wood beds about 18" tall. Everything can be in a lot tighter, the soil made quite rich and all watering limited to the bed tops rather than paths, fences, etc.

xx
bush beans

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 11, 2012, 19:02
by AnneB
xx
Bush Beans

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 08:03
by gillie
xx
Runner Beans as a Bush

Started by Johnny Norfolk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 15:23
by Johnny Norfolk
xx
bush shell beans [ying and yang]

Started by ziggy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 09:33
by CZ Silhouette

Page created in 0.915 seconds with 38 queries.