Hungarian Cure for coughs and sneezes!

• 13 Replies

Missie

Hungarian Cure for coughs and sneezes!
« on: May 31, 2010, 12:17 »
I am unsure what you think of this but my Mum make a Hungarian Dumpling called Gnocchi.

Mums Grandmother used this for her hens in Hungary.

Mix together four,water and some chilli powder.
Make into a dough and break it off into pea size pieces-they have a special tool for making this but pinching seems to do the trick.

Drop into a pan of clean boiling water,once they float they are ready.
Lift out with a slotted spoon and place into cold water.

After they have cooled you can just throw them to your hens-They go insane for them!

Unbelievably I tried this after Mum had told me and it works with no problems whatsoever,I had a gingernut ranger with a rattly chest and coughing,thought it was the mcp,gave all my birds this and within 3 days it was gone!

dizzylizzie

Re: Hungarian Cure for coughs and sneezes!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 12:35 »
Im sorry but gnocchi wont cure micop! ::)

Missie

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 14:01 »
No It probably would not,but for chesty coughs and sniffles it does work  ;)

wildwitchy

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 19:16 »
capsicum which is a compound of chilli, is in buttercup syrup the cough medicine Dizzy Lizzy.

Facinating that Missie..

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 19:57 »
Think Lizzie's point was a fair one. Capcisum will not cure myco and Missie's first thread prior to her clarification did read as though it was being suggested it would.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

wildwitchy

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 20:06 »
i just think its personally rude to roll ones eyes at a suggestion of a cure for something thats worked for someone. A mind should be kept open like a parachute.  :)

Missie

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 20:10 »
When I first started off my first flock had a few which appeared to have myco,and indeed it kept coming through,especially when some new birds came along-stress possibly and the pecking order.

I took three to the vets and was given Tylan,This seems to have worked.I keep all my flocks seperate,the myco birds are getting old now but I could not justify culling,they are my girls!

I recently purchased some supposedly fertile eggs and came away with silkie cockerels.
These were put in with 4 bantams.From previous post's one died and the other now has the dreaded crusty eye with puffy face-his brother died of this. Strange though it seems but none of the bantams have any symptoms whatsoever.

My other flocks over winter had runny noses,sniffles,coughs and Lord knows what and it is then Mum suggested using the old remedy.After using it since November I am happy to recommend it,it is natural and chemical free and the girls really do love it.

I think it is worth giving it to them as a treat every so often just incase.I believe a good egg comes only from a very happy hen :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 20:28 »
I do not think that Lizzie was rolling her eyes and I think Missie's subsequent posts have been clear that she is not advocating it as a cure for Myco, just something that she thinks has helped her bird which is great.

Being open minded is great but a little science helps too. If chilli was curative in Mycoplasma infections, it is unlikely that TB would be endemic in India.

Missie

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 20:49 »
No,not at all,I think it is either misread or my poor English,

"I had a gingernut ranger with a rattly chest and coughing,thought it was the mcp"

due to the others in another flock,however,she was the only one affected,so I just put it down to her having a cold.

I was not trying to mislead anyone,so sorry if it has been taken wrong,I am just trying to help.:)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 23:00 »
Please put your location in your profile Missie.  :)  Are you saying that English is your second language?
Cheese makes everything better.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 23:47 »
i just think its personally rude to roll ones eyes at a suggestion of a cure for something thats worked for someone. A mind should be kept open like a parachute.  :)

You have completely got the wrong end of the stick....I WAS NOT having a go at Missie, in her first post Missie indicated that it helped myco, i dont want newbies to read that and not take their chicken to the vets because they are giving it Gnocchi with chilli and they have read on here it cures it! missie, im orry, i didnt think you were trying to mislead anyone, and i know this was your experiance of it, if you think its made a difference thats good.

Wild witchy, giving the example of buttercup syrup dosent really help as ive never found that helpful anyway

wildwitchy

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 08:31 »
Wild witchy, giving the example of buttercup syrup dosent really help as ive never found that helpful anyway

capsicum is many long established OTC remedies for coughs & colds, buttercup syrup was just one example DL. I'm not advocating weather it works or not.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 11:11 »
This is an interesting herbal site

http://www.anniesremedy.com/remedy_use75.php

It is everyone's right to choose herbal versus conventional.  There are good and bad things to be said about both.

I use both e.g. poultry spice and poultry drink for a general tonic and to improve shells, flubenvet to remove any low grade undetectable worm infestation, but if the birds are ill or in need of effective prophylaxis there is no contest.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:17 by Aunt Sally »

Missie

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 11:26 »
I am using verm-x wormer at the moment,this is my first time with this so am unsure what the results are going to be,it's pretty expensive.I usually use flubenvet, and as Sally has said,I also use poultry spice and drink to help,especially as some of my girls are moulting horrendously,they have been without feathers for 5 weeks now,I am not sure how long the moulting goes on for?!

xx
Chickens with sneezes

Started by andy and deb on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 08:12
by terri
xx
Dorothy and Dave's coughs

Started by Littley on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 10:49
by Littley
sad
Chicken with sneezes and wheezes...

Started by ajkula77 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 05, 2009, 19:19
by drumcrow
xx
HELP!! My girls have the sneezes,any idea's what to do for them.

Started by Little jack on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 14:31
by Little jack

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 37 queries.