I said I never would..........

• 7 Replies

wildwitchy

I said I never would..........
« on: May 30, 2010, 23:44 »
But hopefully if the next door plot becomes available shortly, me & chickadee (Helen) are hoping to put some table birds on that lottie as a shared venture. What breed would be the best to have. We'd like something slow growing, that won't go off it's legs etc. I don't know much about the breeds of table/meat birds.

One of the other plot holders has kept meat poultry & other livestock for years & he's helping us too which is great. I'll have my first taste of organic free range chicken on friday & I'm sooooo looking forward to it. Such a shame - the poor devil is still running around!  :ohmy:

He did show me the birds (I think Ross white?Cobb?) he's just had but they had almost gone off their legs untill he had them running around his garden. Ideally I'd like to raise them from day olds so I can control their feed,growth & total welfare. My husband still refuses to eat them though when they get done-he's only just managed to eat the eggs from the girls?!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: I said I never would..........
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 00:24 »
Even running around the garden some table birds will still have problems with their legs.  We rear Hubbards from day old, but they do sometimes too!  Maybe try some of them, or the dual purpose type bird like RIR, LS, etc?

chickadee

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:06 »
But hopefully if the next door plot becomes available shortly, me & chickadee (Helen) are hoping to put some table birds on that lottie as a shared venture. What breed would be the best to have. We'd like something slow growing, that won't go off it's legs etc. I don't know much about the breeds of table/meat birds.

One of the other plot holders has kept meat poultry & other livestock for years & he's helping us too which is great. I'll have my first taste of organic free range chicken on friday & I'm sooooo looking forward to it. Such a shame - the poor devil is still running around!  :ohmy:

He did show me the birds (I think Ross white?Cobb?) he's just had but they had almost gone off their legs untill he had them running around his garden. Ideally I'd like to raise them from day olds so I can control their feed,growth & total welfare. My husband still refuses to eat them though when they get done-he's only just managed to eat the eggs from the girls?!
i can taste it now - and to think the bird has had ultimate quality of life, when narissa asks me if the chicken we are eating is free range i always reply " yes it's a happy chicken " we are so looking forward to this venture and i think even if we didn't get another plot and i was moved up by you we can use one plot for chucks and the other for veg/fruit so whatever happens it is going to happen
chickens out

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:14 »
Do keep us posted.  I am dying to know how you get on.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 10:34 »
I know some very experienced poultry keepers who tried Ross Cobbs. They reduced the amount of feed they were giving them and encouraged them to free range because they were putting on weight too quickly and were going to go off their legs. Then 3 died for no apparent reason. They had them autopsied and the vet discovered they had enlaarged hearts and concluded they died of stress - ie not having enough to eat. Breeds like Ross Cobbs are genetically programmed to eat, eat , eat and when denied ............... . So choose your breeds carefully.

Good luck :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

chickadee

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 13:11 »
yes i'm pleased we have some months to do research and plan as all ventures involving animals need - we will keep you all updated

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 14:01 »
our local free range hen bloke is doing Sasso meat birds.  I've had one to eat and it was lovely

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 14:13 »
I have to say I've had no problems with my Sasso Cendré, Sasso naked necks or Hubbard JA 657s

I treated them just like "normal" chickens (chick crumbs for the first 5 weeks, then growers/rearers after).  They went out into the garden at 5 weeks and are currently going through a bit of a growth spurt at 9 weeks old, and will probably be table ready in another 2 - 3 weeks.  Not as fast as Hubbard JA 257 or Cobbs (which can be ready in 6 - 8 weeks) but i suppose it depends on if you are looking at feed to meat ratios etc.  I just like to think of them haveing a carefree existance running around in my garden before they are quickly and humanely dispatched - I don't really care how much they are eating lol

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 37 queries.