Broken egg still inside?

• 9 Replies

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
Broken egg still inside?
« on: May 30, 2010, 10:23 »
I've had my ex-batts since November. Lost one to egg peritonitis but they all seem better now they're having fewer supplements.
They have layers pellets with a small amount of corn and VermX once a month. They free range from about 11 o/c am.
One is very poorly this morning. There was a piece of eggshell protruding from her bum which I very carefully removed. I'm not sure the whole thing came out. She expelled a gush of perfectly clear 'water' after I had pulled the shell free. She seems slightly perkier now and has drunk but not eaten.
Is there anything I can do to encourage her to expel any remaining egg? A bath? The vent looks clean and healthy.
There's no chance of a vet till Tuesday - worried that may be too late.

Hawkins

Re: Broken egg still inside?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 10:38 »
Im no expert hillbilly hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be around soon but im sure there would be no harm in giving her a warm bath making sure the water covers the vent area and hse may need to be in there 40 mins to an hour. It may help her relax and push out anything remaining.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Jeanette

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 11:15 »
I echo what hillbilly has said. After the bath dry her of with a hair dryer. Hope it works out ok.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 12:04 »

There's no chance of a vet till Tuesday - worried that may be too late.

Vets are like doctors they work all hours. Yes it is more expensive 'out of hours' but it is your responsibility to make sure your animals don't suffer. If you were worried about the health of a loved one you would call the doctor regardless of the time of day or night and not wait and 'worry it may be too late'?
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 13:24 »

[/quote]

Vets are like doctors they work all hours. Yes it is more expensive 'out of hours' but it is your responsibility to make sure your animals don't suffer. If you were worried about the health of a loved one you would call the doctor regardless of the time of day or night and not wait and 'worry it may be too late'?
[/quote]

Quite right, Nikkithefoot, and I am suitably chastened and riddled with guilt for not finding a vet, immediately, who is prepared to trek out to me (no surgeries today or tomorrow) to reassure me about a chicken.
However, Cariad has now had her bath and blowdry, cooing happily all the way through. She then tucked into her food as soon as she went back to the pen so I'm alot happier. Fingers crossed she'll continue to pick up.
Thank you for the helpful support - this site is such a wonderful first call for help. Thanks again.

Hawkins

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 13:35 »
I hope she'll be okay and you were just pulling out the very last bit of the egg. Did she enjoy her bath i find mine quite like it.

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 13:52 »
I've had my ex-batts since November. Lost one to egg peritonitis but they all seem better now they're having fewer supplements.
They have layers pellets with a small amount of corn and VermX once a month. They free range from about 11 o/c am.

There's another thread currently running on egg peritonitis http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=57831.msg679774#msg679774  in exbatts and one on Verm-X http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=57811.msg679768#msg679768  which you might find interesting if only to help you realise your issues here are shared by many people with exbatts.
HF
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 13:58 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 18:06 »
Hi, if you have any doubt at all about her you really nee to get her to a vet The out of hours vet meets you at the surgery. If there is shell left inside her and you leave her till Tuesday you will probably loose her from an infection that could be avoided

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 20:31 »
Cariad is looking fine tonight so I will see how she goes. I promise - any sign of not fit as a fiddle tomorrow and she's off to the vet.

Thanks for the pointer, Hillfooter. I have seen the VermX thread and will not use it as a substitute for Flubenvet. Do you all think it will harm them? I'm not a herbalist but have successfully raised two children, two cats, three hamsters, the odd wild stray creature, a dog and a husband (although he was mostly raised when I got him!) with predominately 'alternative' (I think of them as a 'first resort') remedies. Lab produced drugs have generally proven to alleviate the symptoms (usually) of the problem with a high probability of side effects - on one occasion far more damaging than the ailment.

I am a novice with chickens and suspect that they react fast to problems - I will definately stop the vermX if the consensus is that it will harm them.

Just off to check out the egg peritonitis thread.....
Thanks to all

dizzylizzie

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 20:41 »
Vermx wont harm them as such, but the build up of worms because owners are lulled into a false sense of security will. It dosent kill worms, flubenvet does. Although flubenvet is very affective , its also gentle enough not to require an egg withdrawal

xx
Broken egg inside

Started by mumsy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 19:44
by mumsy
xx
inside???

Started by miller15 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 12:21
by cathangirl
xx
The egg inside

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 13:47
by richyrich7
xx
cant see inside the egg

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 14:39
by naturesparadise

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 37 queries.