help!!!

• 4 Replies

oborne27

help!!!
« on: May 29, 2010, 20:35 »
Hi All,
I have a large coop (about 1.2mtr sq) with a run just over 3.5mtr x 1 mtr. I have 2 partridge wyandtte bantams. all has been OK for about 6mths until a little while ago when 1 chook became broody. We do remove her from the coop most days and close up the pop hole (so she can't go back and brood). She is eating and drinking ok. My concern is the other one keeps pecking her around the back of the head - she's abit bald there now. it seems to be when then go to bed or when the weather is bad and they are sheltering from the rain. I use antipeck spray on her.
I don't want it to become a bigger problem than it already is so can anyone think of a way to get the dominant one to leave her alone. they have 'pay things' in the run which they like and also perches to sit on.

My other question is what to use in the coop for sleeping/nesting. I use wood shavings, is this OK? as I have heard that you shouldn't use it.

dizzylizzie

Re: help!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 20:41 »
Anything that is dust extracted, and can be used fo horses should be fine for chucks ;), Regards the pecking, if you have tried the anti-pecking spray, and they have lots of room/things to occupy them you may have to try beak bits :(

Just thinking, is the dominant one deffo an hen?...when my cockerel treads the hens he sometimes pull feathers out the back of the neck. Also sometimes in the absence of a cockerel, the dominant hen 'plays' at being a cockerel, so maybe its happening because of that...either way you may want to try a beak bit

oborne27

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 20:49 »
Thanks for the info about wood shavings.
Both my chooks are hens so you could be right there.
I silly question but whats a beak bit? I'm new to hen keeping -  you probably guessed that though!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 21:02 »
Everyone has got to start somewhere ...we were all new once :D
Beak bits are little things that fit over the beak to stop the beak closing on the feather, some say they work, some dont, some say they ar not humane, some say their hens arnt bothered by them...ive never used them, but you can get them very cheaply from the wildfowl trust....have a google, it will tell you more than i can ;)

oborne27

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 21:13 »
thanks for all that. I'll have a look at them

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 27 queries.