Margarites

• 5 Replies

Nickchick

Margarites
« on: May 29, 2010, 19:22 »
Firstly sorry for the spelling?  I grew some from seed last year and have planted them out this spring.  They have flowered but are very leggy :(  The have drooped all over.  Will they always be gangly or is there someting I can do to make them less so?

Thanks

Nichola

Bram

Re: Margarites
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 20:21 »
Hi Nichola  ..pinch the tops off, then again as the side shoots grow, it should  make a nice bushy plant  :D

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 14:17 »
I rarely remember to go out and pinch the growth so I leave a small peony type cage for them so they don't flop over other plants.

Nickchick

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 17:29 »
Thanks for the replies.

When you say pinch the tops out when should you do this?  Mine are now about 2'6" and have flopped all over the paths.  Should I cut them all back now?  Do they make a good cut flower if I put them in a vase?

Thanks again,

Nichola x

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 17:40 »
If they are already flowering I would just put some twiggy bits in to support them, or some green canes and some twine. You need to pinch them out before they flower, really.

As you chop the dead heads off remove a fair bit of stalk with the dead flower and hopefully the next lot of flowers will be lower down.

Bram

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 19:18 »
use any bits for cuttings ,they strike very easy  2-3inches of the top growth,  trim off the bottom leaf or two ,5 or 6 to a 6 in pot  keep moist but not wet they will strike in a week or two, alternatively try and make a half standard,take all side shoots off and let it grow up ,support with a cane or similar, nip out the top and let it branch out  and dead head regularly

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 31 queries.