Forced Air Incubator (fan assisted)

• 11 Replies

gsc

• Experienced Member
Forced Air Incubator (fan assisted)
« on: May 28, 2010, 06:55 »
Has anyone tried one of these?

Going on eBay (where else ::)) for £28 plus P&P new.

Only takes 15 eggs but that would be plenty for what I'm thinking of.  Just seems a bit too cheap to expect much from.

gsc

• Experienced Member
Re: Forced Air Incubator (fan assisted)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 08:40 »
Nah - I can't bring myself to go that cheap.

I am looking at the Corti 25 so now I have more questions :) if you would be so kind.

Am I right in thinking a fully automatic would be best?  Does it turn x times a day?

The difference between the 25 or 50 model is not huge and it says it can be used as a hatcher so I'm thinking the extra space would be useful?

I'm loath to buy a cheaper model and regret it very quickly.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:40 »
What brand is it?

For 28pounds it sounds like a polystyrene box with a computer fan lol!

Having said that... many people do hatch successfully in polystyrene packing boxes... the only thing is, if it's fan assisted then you will probably find the humidity harder to control than a still air incubator - as moving the air all the time is drying (unless it's one of the newer computer controlled jobbies).

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 08:45 »
For 28pounds it sounds like a polystyrene box with a computer fan lol!
Lol I think you're right.  At the moment I am doing my usual trick of starting low and going up and up pricewise.  Hubby loves it when I shop online. ::) :lol: :tongue2:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:55 »
just had a look at them and yes it is a poly box, they also have had a few broken and returned (just read the neg feedback). If I was to get an incy then I would buy one that turns and regulates properly so you get a better hatch rate (assuming the eggs are fertile of course  ::):)
Staffies are softer than you think.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 09:03 »
Lol Joyfull - I am hoping the lady close by will sell me some eggs from her birds then I will be in with a good chance.

So far I am gearing up to finding the best price I can on the Corti 50 fully automatic.  There is a second hand Corti 25 going but I'm dithering over whether the bigger one would be more useful for hatching.

This will be very good for my diet.  If I buy the dearer one I can't afford to overeat and drink too much while I'm on holiday  :D  Actually, not quite sure I want to go now.  Will be looking forward to coming back home and getting started :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 10:06 »
why not start off with a little automatic incubator - such as the brinsea mini advance (7 eggs) they are on a buy it now at £89.99 on ebay. This way you can start off slow and relitivly cheaply to see if this is for you (remember the cockerels have to be dealt with  ;)).
then you will need a brooder box and heat lamp or electric hen., plus chick feeders and drinkers, chick crumb and also a bottle of coxoid or baycox just in case they get coccidiosis (and if having to give this you will need chick crumb without any ACS in it so something like the small holder range or organic).

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 10:09 »
Thanks Joyfull

I am still mulling it over - it depends what I can get for what discounted price :)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 10:19 »
Dont bother..... poor hatch rates and it is just a box with a comp fan and a maplins thermostat in it :(

Had one.... used it.... sold it...... Simples ;)

If you go for one of the good makes... automatic etc.... yes you will pay a lot more, but the resale value is far better!!

Having said that My little poly box sold for £51 when I ebayed it with a dozen eggs included so I was happy ;)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 15:56 »
Thank you chookie - I have now bought a R-Com 20 Pro USB,  I am hoping to get it Tuesday and fill it before I go away the day after.  Fingers crossed for something exciting when I get back from hols.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 23:50 »
Well you have certainly gone from one end of the spectrum to the other :)

Maybe I should go into sales ;)

You should  not be disappointed in the 20 pro... its a fab bit of kit.

Happy haching :D

Paladon

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 13:09 »
Hi, About polybox incubators. I have made my own and added a thermostat and used used two economy lights a 25watt and 10 watt bulbs added of course a computer fan for circulation. I have hatched many hens eggs and quail eggs, I have no problems with humidity as i find a tray that just about fits the bottom  and put about 2 inches of water in. I have done away with the lid and just use a glass sheet added an internal thermostat and humidity reader, so personally speaking i disagree with most of the write up about them being bad to use. They are an economical way for people to be able to hatch chicks. But i would say that the temperature controller is important. I have also added a cut out at the top of the box, for controlled ventilation, which works very well and have added aluminium foil around the lights to reduce the intensity of light in the hatcher. I am personally very happy with what i have achieved. I also made my own candler  for a few coppers!
There are some very helpful people out there that are willing to help you if you have problems. The poly incubator has bought a lot of pleasure to me and my family! I got the box free from my local pet shop I already had all of the fixtures. The only thing i needed to buy was the thermostat and that was only £9. So I am a happy chappy with what I have achieved.
Part of the fun is turning the eggs and to be honest there is too much fuss about the temperature being totally accurate. You just have to look at how a mother hen looks after her eggs, she will leave them too feed and have a rest from brooding, so a small deviation in temperature is not that important. :) :tongue2: :nowink: Good luck with your hatching no matter how you do it! : :D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 13:12 by Paladon »

xx
Best |Incubator to get

Started by Briony on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 21:41
by Briony
xx
Just got an incubator

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2015, 14:07
by tosca100
sad
Incubator help

Started by cazzoo on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 00:14
by MontyTom
xx
New Incubator

Started by Viv on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 20, 2008, 12:58
by Viv

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 38 queries.