Does anyone use hoses on their allotments ?

• 44 Replies

bigben

Re: Does anyone use hoses on their allotments ?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 10:07 »
I think we are meant to just use them to fill butts, however most people tend to use them direct. We are not metered.

prakash_mib

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 10:43 »
there is a hosepipe ban on our site! and I think it is good to have the ban because people should know the value of water. I have suffered drought months in my young age for couple of years and I know how difficult it is to replenish water!
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

madcat

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 10:47 »
We would love to have piped water on the site!  A bucket in the stream or byo is as good as it gets.   :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 10:53 »
No hosepipes on our site, although for a while some people did seem to be using them,  they soon stopped that, they took away the taps and have installed self filling troughs now.
Think I may have to get a bowser to tow behind the car and fill it up at home and use a hosepipe from that instead.

Zippy

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 11:30 »
Hosepipes are a great contention on our site. There are those who use them for most of the evening making it impossible for those who wish to fill up watering cans (cheaper as they don't have to pay a hose pipe levvy), leading to verbal exchanges, hosepipes being pulled off the tap to fill cans and hosepipe rage!

I personally prefer to mulch so I can ride out most droughts and rely on rainwater butts most of the time. sloping roofs on my shed and compost bins maximises the amount of rainwater I can store.

I don't use a hosepipe - no need.

Livinhope

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 11:31 »
We are allowed hosepipes we have a number of standpipes all over the site with the screw fitment for hoses.  Some people use them others use watering cans.  A water rate is included in our rent.  

We seem to be fairly lucky, with a lenient council.  We have sheds, greenhouses, chickens, weird and wonderfully ingenious cages for protection of fruit and veg, fantastic composters, in fact our council seems to encourage invention and recycling.  There are very few restrictions and we are pretty much left alone, but the council do inspect the site regularly and people, on the whole, seem to be very responsible.

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 11:34 »
We use them all the time, in fact the Council installed more standpipes to cut down the walking!  A pro allotment  Council :)

we are the same, they are putting extra taps in as we have to wait some days as people are filling the baths up for the horses( its shared paddocks and allotments and iv got both lol) i would be stuck without it, we have near on 200meters of hose lol
first year grower

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 12:07 »
We are allowed and many do, I try not too but this year had no choice due to no wet stuff falling, sprinklers again are allowed but no one uses them as they are frowned upon and no one is allowed to leave any watering device unattended.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 12:12 »
Hosepipes ! weve got four self filling water troughs for our site the nearest about 50 yards away from my allotment.Ive got a wheelbarrow with two of those big salt lick buckets, and i fill these in a stack, and fill the barrow with water then barrow it back to my allotment.Two trips to fill a 45 gallon barrel.
Hard work but i dont water much outside the greenhouse except if they are looking in need of it,peas and onions mostly.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 12:17 »
no stand pipes on our just great big water butts that once contained ink and vegtable oil etc

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 12:20 »
We have one tap and one hose between the 16 or so of us. Not caused a problem yet most of us use it simply to fill the water butts.  
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

noshed

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 12:34 »
Water is one of the biggest bones of contention on our site. We are not allowed to use hoses but I've spied a few secret ones about.
A sort of fever seems to grip some people where they water everything continually, thus emptying the tanks for everybody else. And since our tank is at the end of the line, we often have no water. This causes rage and rows.
I have 4 water butts but they are more or less empty at the moment so I'm reliant on the rain now. Everything seems to be getting along OK though, mainly due to the immense amount of compost I've dug in over the years.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 12:36 »
We are permitted to use hoses to fill water butts - not to spray or sprinkle though
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 13:02 »
we are not allowed hosepipes.  I am on a council run allotment site, and we have troughs which are attached t mains water.  There are probably around 8 allotments to each water tank I just have two large watering cans.

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 13:45 »
Not permitted - but some people do connect one to the water trough feed!  I use a barrow and several cans to dip in the trough!!! hard work but it keeps you fit.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

xx
We have been banned from using hoses

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post June 23, 2015, 08:39
by Mr Dog
xx
Watering with Hoses - am I evil?

Started by acetaria on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 16:18
by wellingtons
xx
ALLOTMENTS

Started by Crumbly Oldy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2011, 19:07
by Willie_Eckerslike
xx
new to allotments

Started by liliboots1 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 20, 2008, 18:42
by fatbelly

Page created in 4.325 seconds with 36 queries.