Problems with my tomatoes

• 10 Replies

mrsnesbitt

« on: July 08, 2006, 13:45 »
This is the very first time I have grown my own tomatoes, as some of you know...oh hello by hte way!! :wink:  and noticd these markings on the leaves.only the bottom leaves

Smag

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 14:32 »
Hope you don't mind me tagging on to this thread, but I have lots of toms developing in the greenhouse.  A few of the developing toms are going very dark on the underside though.

Should I be worried?  Should  cut these out or get rid of the whole plant?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 16:15 »
Hi Smag, are the brown bits on the bottom of the fruit where the flower was?  If so, sound like blossom end rot, so just get rid of those fruits that are affected.  Keep the plant though unless all the fruit go like it.

I have some toms where the bottoms are splitting in a funny shape rather than going brown, but I don't know what that is.  It is only on one particular variety too!

Have a look at this article:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes/oldnotes/vg19.htm

Smag

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 16:47 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Hi Smag, are the brown bits on the bottom of the fruit where the flower was?  If so, sound like blossom end rot, so just get rid of those fruits that are affected.  Keep the plant though unless all the fruit go like it.

I have some toms where the bottoms are splitting in a funny shape rather than going brown, but I don't know what that is.  It is only on one particular variety too!

Have a look at this article:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes/oldnotes/vg19.htm

Thanks Annie, and for the article too

Looks like mystery solved :)

Sorry I can't help you with your bottom splitting (toms) though..... sounds painful  :shock:    :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 08:34 »
I've similar problems with my tomatoes this year - there are a lot of fungal blights around. Generally, if the growing mediium is good, you still get a crop even if the plant doesn't look too great.
On a domestic scale adding epsom salts in water and spraying with epsom salts helps cure magnesium deficiency.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Oliver

Bottoms 'splitting'?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 12:54 »

Take a look at the thread I wrote you on 3 July re the mark at thew bottom of the brandywines. - Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Gwiz

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 16:59 »
I have some toms where the bottoms are splitting in a funny shape rather than going brown, but I don't know what that is.  It is only on one particular variety too

toms do this sometimes if they get a lot of water after they have dried out abit. some types are more prone than others.
could this be the reason i wonder, or is it johns law of sod again?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 22:09 »
Hi Qwiz, no I don't think its the too dry then too much water thing, when that happens to me, the split is usually round the middle of the tomato.  

This thing isn't a split, its like zigzagged lines or a gaping hole where you can see the tomatoes inner bits and its on the bottom where you get blossom rot, but its not rot.

Message for Oliver.  Sorry Oliver, I didn't see your July 3rd post for some reason, so you think its because I may have more than 3 trusses on those particular plants?  I did read the other day that with the big beefsteak types you should only allow 3 trusses and 3 fruits per trussl, but that means you only get 9 tomatoes per plant.  That's not fair!!!  I want more!!!! lol

Anyway, I've tried it with the yellow brandywine to see what happens, mind you, only one of them was more than 3 trusses anyway, but it isn't happening to my other beefsteak toms like Big Boy and Marmande.  They are fine.  However, I am going to reduce some of them to 3 fruits and 3 trusses per plant, and leave some of them with more fruits per truss to see what difference it makes.

Oliver

Crazy tomatoes
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 22:22 »
like zigzagged lines or a gaping hole
You can see into the hole, but not 'raw' tomato? If the fruit looks healthy and feels firm, just leave it and let it ripen. This is a characteristic of brandywine tomatoes. Wait and see.
Then pick it and eat it.  You don't usually get too many fruits on these plants anyway, but the ones that you do get are usually large. Another tomato that behaves something like this is Black Russian.

Her tomatoes have been a total flop this year! Gardeners Delight, which usually has many many cherry toms has 9 on two trusses on one plant (usually 20 toms per truss and we have 5 trusses per plant) and NONE on the other two. Not even flowers.  So they are for the chop.  It has probably been too warm in the poly. Got to 48 degrees today.  Peppers are doing Ok, as is the famous melon, although it has changed its name to Sweetheart from Lunabel (so Val tells us - she gave is the plant!). Sign ... Good night. More later. Tired tonight! Allotment open day ....

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 22:37 »
I'll tell you what it looks like Oliver, you know sometimes you get an orange that has a tiny orange growing inside it?  The bottom of the big orange looks holey and has bumps inside it?  That's what they look like.  But didn't want them to keep growing looking like that, as it looks like an open invitation to bugs, but if you reckon I should leave them and wait and see, I'll take your advice.  

Do they taste nice?  It could be that it gts too hot in the poly, The chillies love it, they are coming on a treat, and the Tigerella toms are looking good.  Gardener's delight not bad, some missing mid truss, but other wise good.  Floridity looks good too, and Big Boy and Marmande.  In the greenhouse, there are lots of Tres Cantos coming along, but again the brandywine lok the same as the polytunnel ones.  

Melons are looking good at the moment too.  The biggest one is tennis ball sized now, and on 2 plants I have about 10 melons.  Should I take the other flowers off or leave them?  There are no fruits yet on the melons in the greenhouse

mrsnesbitt

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 14:26 »
well all seems Ok now.

Visited neighbour and noticed hers were the same, so she said just to remove them, which I did.
She took the time to check my tomatoes, said they were great, so that will do for me.

Dx

xx
Pea problems

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post December 10, 2007, 13:08
by gobs
xx
Pea Problems

Started by ruth82 on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 19:30
by yummy
xx
New veg, old problems...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 01, 2019, 20:02
by Potterer
xx
Problems!!!

Started by Coach on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 15:11
by Coach

Page created in 0.797 seconds with 37 queries.