Stacey not well

• 13 Replies

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Stacey not well
« on: May 27, 2010, 10:33 »
My poor amber star isnt well bless her, i noticed her last nite about 8.30pm standing all fluffed up and not really wanted to walk, just before bed i noticed her then eating and off she went to bed, this morning she came out of the coup when i opened the door but then went back in which is not like her atall, she usually fills her face.   I went out and she was just laying there, she went outside and then did this real watery poor, infact it was all water with abit of green and yellow.   Ive just got back from the vets with her and he couldnt feel her being egg bound,  her eyes and chest were fine and her comb is red,   im sure she laid yesterday as i only got 2 from 3 girls and she lays first thing in the morning.   Vet gave her an injection and i have some antibiotcis to give her too.   Would anyone have any suggestions,    shall i just leave her in peace as im sure she hasnt ate anything,  i asked whether i should separate her from the other 2 but the vet said to just leave her be, wot do you think i should do separate or leave her with the other two.   nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Stacey not well
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 10:37 »
I would leave her where she is.  The vet would have said to separate her if they thought she was infectious.  You will know withing a day or so if she is responding to the antibiotics as she will become more active and start to eat and drink.

If she doesn't seem to be improving contact the vet again for advice.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 10:43 »
I would leave her where she is.  The vet would have said to separate her if they thought she was infectious.  You will know withing a day or so if she is responding to the antibiotics as she will become more active and start to eat and drink.

If she doesn't seem to be improving contact the vet again for advice.

thanks Aunt sally, will do          nickyx

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 11:04 »
she may have a softie on route hun, this can make them look/feel awful :(

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:10 »
she may have a softie on route hun, this can make them look/feel awful :(

hmmmm yes, i hadnt thought of that,   they do have plenty of oyster shell and grit in there run, i just scatter it all over the floor for them.   Well im hoping she picks up abit bless her, it would be alwful to loose her after having just gotten her back to full health.   nickyx

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:14 »
The occasional softie isnt anything to worry about hun, just a blip in a very sophisticated complete  food production line ;)

Also remember that you may not actually see a softie because they usually scoff it before you get to see it x
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:17 by dizzylizzie »

carolbriar

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 13:12 »
Sorry to hear about Stacey.  I hope she recovers quickly.  I remember one of mine being under the weather, not bothering to run around, not seeming to be with it and a bit fluffed up.  She was like that for a couple of days so I got antibiotics from the vet and she improved quite quickly.  I have had one shell less egg and wondered if it was her. 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 09:09 »
just a wee update on stacey :),  had my first experience in bathing a chook yesterday,  got a mop bucket (thanks lizzie for that advice :)) and filled it with lovely warm water and popped her init, have to say she absoutely loved it and sat init very happily, she didnt pass anything in the water after 40mins, bought her out and hair dryed her again she loved it bless her and popped her back in with the other, unfortunately she didnt pick up all day and just stood on her own and i was very worried about her and wasnt hoping for the best this morning when hubby let them out, but thankfully she is back to her old self after passing a softie in the coup :) :) :) so thank goodness that was wot it was and it wasnt something more sinister and thankfully she passed it ok.   Nickyx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 09:20 »
So pleased she is now ok, Nicky  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 10:44 »
Im glad she is back to her usual self hun x
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:52 by dizzylizzie »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 11:03 »
Well done Nicky, Stacey and of course, LIZZIE for her excellent diagnosis :)

carolbriar

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 11:55 »
Really pleased to hear about Stacey. :)

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 13:19 »
Well done Nicky, Stacey and of course, LIZZIE for her excellent diagnosis :)

Yes thanks again Lizzie as i hadnt thought about a softie as she lays like a trooper.   Its funny though as when i took her to the vets he had a good feel and couldnt feel her being egg bound but not once did he mention the fact about a softie, arh well, im just thankful i have a brillant forum and good friends to help.     :D :D

Just out of interest does anyone know why softies knock them for six before they lay them. 

nickyx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 13:31 »
Labour pains  :ohmy:

Birds are designed to push out a hard shelled egg.  A soft one is difficult to lay as the contractions of the uterus just deform it rather than move it out.

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 37 queries.