hillfooter

Re: just thinking about it and looking for some advice
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 10:44 »
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

hillfooter

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 10:56 »
being an old timer you will soon be fast asleep again  :tongue2:  :lol:

er...eh!........yawn ........wots zat bout ol' timer you insolent middle aged munchkin?  I never sleep.

HF

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 11:03 »
no you just inspect the insides of your eyelids then like me  :lol:

bunnylou

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 21:02 »
 thanks so much for all the advice there, I am sooooo pleased i found this forum.  Picked up the our first 3 chucks today at about 3pm, and by 7pm we had our first egg!! wasn't expecting anything that quick but am really pleased.  ended up with a white nick, columbian black tail and rhode rock. the dog had a little woof when they first came out of the box, but after a stern word settled with sniffing around the run.  When we got home i noticed a patch of feathers missing on the back of the columbian black tail just above where the tail feathers start, any thoughts on this??  I sort of assume tthey will grow back in time?

bunny xx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 21:41 »
the bald patch sounds like they were kept with a cockerel and these feathers often get worn away from having had a lot of attention from him  ;)  :lol:. They will grow back eventually - in the meantime if the weather goes back to being hot make sure that they have plenty of shady areas so she doesn't burn.

Trisha

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 09:11 »
Well done Bunny on taking the plunge  :) I am a newbie too.  2 of my chooks were very bald at the back where the cockerel had been at them, but 2 weeks later since they have been away from him there feathers are starting to come through and they are much more settled. :) 

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 12:35 »
Hi,  my girls 'free range' on slabs, with a stone sink for a bath (used to be full of herbs for the kitchen, guess what happened :ohmy:).  My slabs start a few inches away from the walls so I have gravelled the gap and hide small goodies for them to find (grit, corn etc).  They will eat anything you try to grow, and dig up plants you have in pots, but I have found my girls don't like mint so we have quiet an impressive collection, and together with hanging baskets it doesn't feel like they have completely taken over.
I always have a bucket of water and broom at the ready, and scrub most days, only takes a couple of minutes if done daily, and I use jeyes fluid about once a fortnight, beware to read instructions, and make sure slabs are completely dry before letting the girls on to it.
Go for it!  Our girls brighten our day! :D
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

Trisha

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 08:35 »
Hi Bunny how are you getting on with your girls  :)

bunnylou

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 22:41 »
Hello all!

Chickens doing very well, the one that laid on the first day has given us an egg everyday since with the exception of one,  and we have had 3 other eggs, which were lighter and smaller (one was positively white) so at least one(maybe both) of the others have started to lay yippee!!  Been giving them lots of greens and put some bark down for the them to scrat about in on the floor which they seems to have gone down well.  The dog has been really good, but we're not taking any chances and putting him in when they are out of the run.  I was brave and clipped two of their wings myself a few days ago, just the black one to go (mrs bobbins as the kids call her- i must admit i'm strugging to call them names beyond refering to them as girls.....somehow i think im too practical to see them as pets...) I must admit we think theyre great!  My mther in law still isnt sure to believe us that weve got them - hubby likes to have a joke with her!!  Kids love checking for eggs (the youngest -2yrs- managed to break the first one he found be dropping it!!).  Sooo glad we've done this, thanks for all your advice, its been invaluable

Bunny

xx

xx
thinking about chickens....any advice???

Started by wombling2006 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2007, 10:28
by wombling2006
xx
Thinking of keeping chickens... advice sought

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 22:29
by peggyprice
xx
Thinking about it.

Started by Rangerkris on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 18, 2012, 12:29
by Rangerkris
xx
Thinking of having a cockerel?

Started by mollie15 on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 09:17
by Sassy

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 37 queries.