Asparagus

• 8 Replies

Nickchick

Asparagus
« on: May 25, 2010, 19:45 »
Hi

I have noticed in my front garden that I have some asparagus growing amongst a rose bush.       I have had a few spears off it but some of them are fronds :mellow:  Is this because they haven't been harvested soon enough or are they the female bit?

What I want to know is when is the best time to move it to the rear of our house where the veg patch is?

Thanks Nichola

Trillium

Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 22:18 »
Best time to move the asparagus is late fall when they've gone dormant. Place a stick to mark the spots for later.

The fronds mean you've waited too late to pick or eat. The asparagus should be cut fairly soon after they first appear when they're about 6" tall, maybe up to 10" but before the tops start to open out into fronds.

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 22:24 »
are you totally sure it is asparagus and not the asparagus fern
R

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 22:30 »
Sorry to hijack this thread , i planted three Asparagus back in March ... the spears are now 3 foot high with like side branch's comming off the main spears , i read that i'm not to cut these the first year ... is this normal and should i just leave these to rot down by themselves ?

Nickchick

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 22:31 »
How would I tell R?  I hope you're not going to tell me it's poisonous - I had it for my tea ???

N

Babstreefern

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 22:32 »
Well Nickchick, you're messaging aren't  you? :D
Babs

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 22:33 »
Yes, leave them be as they're feeding themselves now and need to do so for another 2 years before you can pick one or two off each plant. By year 5 you can pick all you want. they're a slow starter but will yield well for at least 40 years.
Let the fronds die back on their own in fall and during your winter cleanup you can clear everything off.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 22:34 »
How would I tell R?  I hope you're not going to tell me it's poisonous - I had it for my tea ???

N

Someone near you might have asparagus that went to seed and some friendly birds probably dropped them in your flower garden. It happens.

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 18:55 »
Not sure this will be very scientific so you will probabaly have to get a book and look up the difference or do a goggle. I have both in the garden and the fern looks ferny - much like the stuff used in old fashioned wedding button holes the men wear put behind teh rose etc. But it starts much like the veg Asparagus and then gets bushy rather than going straight up. Mine is also a bit spiky in places. I dont know if it is dangerous but I would not like to give it a try.
Sorry to be vague
R

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
Asparagus

Started by Maccbean on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 14:42
by Maccbean

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 36 queries.