Having a God awful time....wish i'ld never bothered!!

• 31 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Having a God awful time....wish i'ld never bothered!!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 08:06 »
depends on if they want to spend their money on them, not everybody feels the need. Plus if they are organic breeders then they may not either.
Staffies are softer than you think.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 08:11 »
I just checked his website.  He says:
'We supply quality point of lay chickens, hybrid pullets and hybrid hen layers to domestic and small commercial customers, and are conveniently situated on the borders of Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Leicestershire.  Our hybrid hens are reared to Freedom Food Standards, are fully vaccinated and have full traceability.'

grumpydad

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 13:58 »
we too have been in this position in the past, brought apparently vaccinated pure breeds that died, added a few non vaccinated that then died and were eventually left with one wyandotte, who was not going to survive on her own, so have added 3 hybrids as we wanted vaccinated birds, and not many pure breeds are vaccinated.

i think pure breeds are not vaccinated because they are not hatched on the same commercial scale as the hybrids, and as joy said, the vaccine comes in really large batches so it is not viable.

we are now only going to have hybrids for a long time, as we dont know if the wyandotte is a carrier.

after 3 weeks of having them we had 4 eggs from 4 hens yesterday and 4 again today, we have more eggs that we have ever had, even when we had the initial 6 hens, so happy healthy chucks at the moment.

all we can say is keep with it, if we can do it so can you.

we will be having another couple in a few weeks to take us back to 6, and will be going back to the same place we had our hybrids from, they are lovely birds

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 17:52 »
Thanks Grumpy dad (and others) I feel a bit happier now. I was really pleased to find out my original 6 were vaccinated, but wish I had known that you shouldn't keep non-vaccinated birds aswell!!

All is well at present, so have to ride out a couple more weeks and see if anything develops.

Colette x
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 18:23 »
Marek's is a ubiquitous disease. 

Vaccination is not 100% successful as grumpydad has found out.  Even if the vaccine protects the bird the virus can still be caught by them.  Once it has got into a flock even if the birds are vaccinated it will spread through them all.  They are then carriers for a long time (perhaps for life) and can act as a source of infection to other chooks.

Many pure bred poultry breeders, particularly those of susceptable varieties such as silkies and polands will not even consider vaccination but cull any bird that shows any symptoms as this is the way to strenghthern the variety.

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 16:08 »
Still looking ok today, but had already decided to cull any birds that show syptoms, as we have done to 3 birds already. :(

thanks for your help.

colette

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 06:00 »
I hope your chicks are still ok Evansent

We had our first 4 hybrid girls from a supplier that vaccinated them last september we then added 3 other warrens from a different supplier but they all died within 2 weeks not of Mareks though. We were ready to give up as it is very stressfull when they die one after the other. We were also worried that our first 4 would catch whatever it was that killed the Warrens as we had stupidly put them together straight away but they have been ok with no signs of illness just the usual nuttiness lol.
3 weeks ago we added another 3 to our flock but went back to the same supplier and (touches wood) everything is fine. The new girls are purebreeds and are apparently vaccinated too.

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 12:45 »
Hi all

Sorry to hear about your situation, I do hope it improves for you  :(

I have read all the posts in the topic, but can someone tell me what Mareks is ?? (hope I have spelt that right!)

My hybrids were vaccinated when I bought them but I didnt think to ask what for?? I probably thought is was for chicken flu  LOL 

Thank you

Broody
if wishes were changes.......

joyfull

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 13:19 »

Mareks disease is a herpes virus infection of chickens and causes paralysis of the legs, wings and eye lesions. It can create tumours in the heart, ovary, tests, muscles, lungs and feather follicles. It is highly contagious.
symptoms are:-
paralysis of legs, wings and neck,grey and or irregular pupils, loss of weight,skin around the feather follicles raised and roughened, and impaired vision.
There is no treatment for this once a bird has it.

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 21:49 »
Sadly down to 2 now. I am thinking it is just a matter of time....but being a bit of a softie I am giving them the chance and will act if they show symptoms.   The hybrids and Bantams seem unaffected , so fingers crossed and crossed again!!!

Colette

joyfull

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 21:53 »
so sorry Colette, I agree with you you have to give them a fighting chance but should they survive I wouldn't put them with any other chickens ever if it was me as they could become carriers  :(

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 22:01 »
Even if I don't put them together, the virus will still be present in the environment won't it?

I was hoping that the hybrids would be ok because they are vaccinated and the bantams because they have been exposed to it, are immune?

Have I got this wrong? If so and they are always going to be a risk, then I would rather dispose of them now. :(

C x

joyfull

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 22:12 »
I know grumpy dad has recently got hybrids and put them with his possible carrier hen and so far all is ok (remember vaccines do not stop the birds getting Mareks) and some pure breeds are less likely to get it (something to do with the frequency of the B21 gene), however myself I wouldn't take the risk as I was under the impression that a survivor would become a carrier. The virus can survive for 65 weeks at ambient temperature. Perhaps you could have a chat with grumpy dad and see what research he has done to help you with your decision.

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 22:18 »
so sorry to hear of your loss..
zoe pattinson :)

jhub

• jane
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 19:10 »
just a question about vaccinations.... when people say 'fully vaccinated' what does this mean? is it just Marek's and Newcastle?

please let us know how it goes Evansent.

xx
I feel awful!

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 18, 2009, 19:03
by treacleminer
xx
Market today Awful

Started by slowef on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 20, 2007, 22:54
by slowef
xx
Awful rotten egg, concerned :-(

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 15, 2016, 08:03
by Flowerpower136
xx
Awful monday!!! New coop needed!!!

Started by shellroberts on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 04, 2016, 16:31
by shellroberts

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 38 queries.