Comfrey for toms

• 12 Replies

sclarke624

Comfrey for toms
« on: May 22, 2010, 22:08 »
Can I use comfrey tea for my toms instead of a Tomorite type product.  Will it be just as good and negate having to feed with tomorite.

Thanks
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Comfrey for toms
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 22:14 »
I doubt it will do any specific harm, but the point of tomato fertilisers such as tomorite is that they have extra potash to stimulate flowering.  Comfrey fertiliser I don't think has that - or certainly not reliably so.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 22:18 »
Yes. There's a good comfrey article on the site and it compares different feeds. You need higher potassium for flowering/fruiting plants and comfrey provides that.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 22:19 »
Well if comfrey does have higher potash levels then you learn summat every day  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 22:23 »
Here's the link for John's comfrey page :)

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/comfrey/index.php

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 22:43 »
Yep found the link after a google, and then saw you were all pointing at it.  But thanks anyway. 

I was quite surprised as well it had high potash in it.

zazen999

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 07:38 »
Well if comfrey does have higher potash levels then you learn summat every day  :)

It's about 3 times as much as tomato feed; if I remember correctly.

I use it in 3 ways.

1 - put the chopped leaves on the soil surface and mulch with some soil or compost so that they dissolve and provide a slow release feed.
2 - put the leaves in a comfrey pipe and this is put into a watering can and diluted
3 - take some home to the greenhouse and put into a milk carton, fill with water and leave to go yakky; then use this for greenhouse toms - diluted into the watering can.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 07:41 by zazen999 »

Lottiegob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 08:50 »
According to Jekka McVicar in the the June Gardeners' World magazine, comfrey ointment is perfect for sprains, arthritis, inflammation, neuralgia and rubbing onto bruises.  Mother Nature is marvellous!
I'm queen of my own compost heap and I'm getting used to the smell.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 08:54 »
According to Jekka McVicar in the the June Gardeners' World magazine, comfrey ointment is perfect for sprains, arthritis, inflammation, neuralgia and rubbing onto bruises.  Mother Nature is marvellous!

I proper banged my thumb yesterday and it hurts like hell this morning, im not sure if im going to soak in  my comfrey tea bucket when i get to the plot later.

Unless anybody has actually tried this as a miracle cure????????????
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

savbo

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 10:00 »
i've read about making a poultice from comfrey leaves for bruises...

zazen999

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 12:39 »

I proper banged my thumb yesterday and it hurts like hell this morning, im not sure if im going to soak in  my comfrey tea bucket when i get to the plot later.

Unless anybody has actually tried this as a miracle cure????????????

It's traditional name is 'knitbone'; so I am guessing lots of people in the old days did!

sclarke624

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 13:37 »

Hmmm! I may give that a miss for the arthur righteous.  I don't fancy bathing in a bathfull of sewage smelling stuff. LOL  More Whiskey you go first, tell me if it works.

No I have read that myself.  Funny enough it grows wild in my garden its a white flower.  In the 1800's the land and a house, on this spot, belonged to a doctor.  Sometimes I wonder about the plants in this garden as many have medicinal purposes, can't remember all the ones we have come across in the garden now, lungwort is one of them.

Zazzen, I always soak the leaves in a bucket of water and use diluted.  I don't know about the chopping up as I have read they root easy, mine aren't the Bocking whatever they are called, they just grow in the garden.  Although I think its ok if left to wilt first.  Don't want comfrey growing in my potatoe pots.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 15:30 »
I used the chopped leaves and just left them on the surface around the toms to wilt - worked fine and none of them came back to life! I did try the leaves in water once but once was enough  :tongue2:  pooooooooeeeeeeeee  :tongue2:
Rachael

xx
comfrey

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 17:59
by viettaclark
xx
comfrey

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 10, 2013, 21:40
by maxie
xx
more use for comfrey

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 11:50
by compostqueen
xx
Comfrey

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 07, 2015, 11:59
by LilacSandy

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 38 queries.