How do people plan their plots?

• 36 Replies

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
How do people plan their plots?
« on: May 21, 2010, 22:19 »
I have an excel plan of the plot and have monthly plans of what is where and when that space is available or needs digging and leaving.  Sounds really organised then there are spare plants left in the common shed and I ignore my plans take the plants and stick them in somewhereon the plot.  Is it a bloke thing or are the fairer sex tempted by these healthy freebies?
Time waits for no man and I can't wait for growth.

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: How do people plan their plots?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 22:25 »
An Excel plan?  Bah humbug.  :tongue2:  You could plan it down to the finest detail or you could just go with the flow.  Hardly anything these days grows according to plan.  How would Excel take into account the very late frosts and disruption to planting this year?

Grab the freebies and run. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 22:38 »
both me and my o/h love freebiees.. it's the best price for things... free
zoe pattinson :)

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 22:50 »
Plans, plans???

I'm with Ice on this. When I've got nowt better to do in the middle of winter I make plans and as soon as spring comes they fly out the window. I think I might have said this somewhere before but from my dad I inherited a meticulous attention to detail and from my mother an anarchic streak...hope that doesn't make me schizowhatsit

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 00:09 »
plans are for boring people!!!!!!!! :D :tongue2:
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

Diggerpete

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 00:29 »
I start off with the best intentions and then find some left over plants and just bung em in anywhere as long as they grow.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 06:55 »
I have a single piece of A4, with three squares to indicate beds, and one word per crop - just to show broadly which crop went in which bed.

Used to do the same on the computer but it's easier this way!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 08:03 »
I guess like anything the plannning on paper may be more important for the less experienced. I'm only in my second year so still using an A4 sheet like yorkie says. Maybe in a couple of years I won't need to, I dunno. Apart from anything though, it helps me work out which beds can be manured in autumn/winter, whiich beds can be left firm for calabrese and stuff like that. I find it very helpful to plan.

One thing I did try this year which quickly fizzled out  ::) is entering each event (manuring, sowing, mulching etc) onto the Outlook calender. That's just one step too far though and it didn't last more that one or two months!

savbo

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 08:15 »
I'm a compulsive planner so have the plot mapped on Visio (1 page for what was there and 1 page for what's going to happen this year - lots of bed changes and strictures going in...plus page for doodling shed and pond designs...) and also keep a diary on my nokia....

the diary is prob the most useful - always looking back at last year's to see what happened when...

bit sad huh. I'll get me coat...

M

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 10:56 »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 11:05 »
I just happen to have no drawing skills at all, and am inclined to lose bits of paper, so Excel is an easy way to plan the plot and keep notes about sowing and planting dates etc all in the same place.

There is not a single calculation or formula in it; I just happen to be happier moving text-boxes around on a "virtual plot" than using a pencil and paper, and I always know where to find it!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 11:07 »
I shall exercise my right to abstain from answering this question. Back to topping me tan up.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 11:48 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

plum crumble

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 11:21 »
Apart from ensuring I rotate the big areas of crops, ie spuds, onion family and brassicas, to avoid blight, clubroot, and to get the manuring right, I basically stick things in ad hoc.
I am running out of space this year though. Struggling where to put my corn so as not to shade something else. Munty's bean frame has turned out to be a  very efficient use of space, I must say.
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 12:04 »
If you are really in to planning try the planning tool at growveg.com.   Still don't know how to put in links

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 12:18 »
Highlight it in your broswer, right click > copy.

Go to your post, riight click > paste.

xx
how are your veg plots doing ?

Started by sizer247 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 19, 2012, 18:05
by Abbeyview
xx
Two plots. Why?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 07:47
by lacewing
xx
Plots near trees ?

Started by Digger Parsnip on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 18, 2007, 16:57
by Digger Parsnip
xx
3 plots, too much for a beginners?

Started by mum2many on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 20:34
by muntjac

Page created in 0.534 seconds with 37 queries.