Hatch-ability

• 16 Replies

Pretty Chick

Hatch-ability
« on: May 21, 2010, 18:01 »
I'm probably going to buy 6 black orpington hatching eggs off the internet and was wondering: What percentage of eggs maybe wouldn't hatch after being sent through the post?
I already have a buff orpington cockerel, so am hoping the chicks (if they hatch!) are going to be hens. However, I don't really want to hatch more than 1 egg for fear of them being cockerels.
If I put 1 egg under my broody, would it be likely to hatch (it will have been sent through the post)?
Or should I put 2 under, just in case?

Many thanks  :)
All lives are precious.

goodegg

Re: Hatch-ability
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 18:49 »
i would put as manyas you buy probably 6 ive put 18 in the incubator after the post and only 2 hatched

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 19:00 »
whatever you hatch the chances are that 50 - 60 % will be boys so if you hatch 1 it could be a boy. If you really want girls buy them at point of lay or from a breeder who will take them back if they turn out to be boys  :)
If you do go with hatching remember to rest the eggs for 24 hours if they come through the post.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 19:27 »
If you do go with hatching remember to rest the eggs for 24 hours if they come through the post.

I didn't know that you have to let them rest after the journey, thanks for that Joy  :)
So if I get them through the post, I should leave them for 24 hours and THEN put them under my broody??

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 20:07 »
yes, the problem is that they get shaken around in the post (not intentionally but it happens) so they need to settle  :)

Pretty Chick

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 20:17 »
Okay, I will give them a rest before putting them under.
I'm so grateful that you told me that for I would have put them straight under if you hadn't said!!  :D

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 20:27 »
I think there is a way up that they should be rested but I haven't bought through the post (I have always collected so could put them under the broody straight away) so hopefully somebody on here will be able to advise you on this.

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 21:34 »
They should be rested nose down, or small end down, its to do with the air sack,
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 22:50 »
I would also suggest that if you want to hatch you should put all 6 eggs under your broody. Chicks should have company and hatching after a trip through the post (even after resting) is erratic. I have had 0 of 6 duck eggs and 7 of 18 quail eggs throught the post hatch. The real issue is the boys and if you cannot cope with even one boy (or what to do with him) then hatching is not for you and would go with the recommendation of POL or similar where you are sure to get girls.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 07:09 »
They should be rested nose down, or small end down, its to do with the air sack,

Thanks Nails, I'll do that then  :)

I would also suggest that if you want to hatch you should put all 6 eggs under your broody. Chicks should have company and hatching after a trip through the post (even after resting) is erratic. I have had 0 of 6 duck eggs and 7 of 18 quail eggs throught the post hatch. The real issue is the boys and if you cannot cope with even one boy (or what to do with him) then hatching is not for you and would go with the recommendation of POL or similar where you are sure to get girls.

Thank you Kate. I think we would be able to keep 1 more boy, so will have a go at hatching.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 07:12 »
Such a tough decision.  I really want to hatch some chicks - I think it would be great for the grandkids - but the reality of having to deal with the cockerels makes it a difficult decision.

The older kids, I guess, should learn the realities of life with these things, but frankly despatching cockerels for the pot is not my idea of fun either.  If I had a friendly farmer /neighbour who would take them then I would do it like a shot.

Maybe ducks?  What's the situation with male ducks? (total ignorance on this one)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 12:14 »
The situation is much the same in terms of the chances of getting 50-60% males and it can be a real problem for the females if the do not outnumber the males as they just get run ragged by the males, especially in the breeding  season. Both are also difficult to rehome or sell so it is important not to thunk that will be a solution.

The difference with drakes is that they are actually quieter than the ducks so you don't have to worry about the crowing problem if you have neighbours. 

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 12:50 »
The difference with drakes is that they are actually quieter than the ducks so you don't have to worry about the crowing problem if you have neighbours. 
So from the point of view as pets divided into 2 groups - would it work?  Would any males live happily together?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 22:39 »
Males will happily live together if they don't have girls to fight over so if you ended up with a male heavy group you can always set it up with two groups so the girls and boys are kept seperate and that works well apparently although I haven't done it myself.

I do love ducks and they are such a joy to keep.

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 06:46 »
but they poop soooooo much  :lol:

xx
when will they hatch?

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 11:52
by Casey76
xx
Hatch day!!!!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 16:41
by naturesparadise
xx
Will they or won't they hatch?

Started by sheridal on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 19:10
by Vember
xx
First Hatch (pic's)

Started by Paddywack on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 10:34
by Paddywack

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 37 queries.