new to allotments.....were to start

• 23 Replies

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
Re: new to allotments.....were to start
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 19:31 »
Good luck with that Rich. Keep us posted.
I generaly just stick things in the ground green side up.

brownp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 20:16 »
Good luck with it.
I've just started myself on the other side of the bridge in the Barton area.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 21:47 »
Welcome aboard Rich.

You are going about this the right way by  showing your commitment and enthusiasm.  The only advice I can give you is try and talk to the decision makers at the allotment society.  You must put yourself on the waiting list and then try and get some sort or verbal "gentleman's agreement" that when the committee  terminate the agreement for that plot, the membership agreement will transfer to you.

Sadly, enthusiasm and hard work may not get you to the top of the waiting list.  If the allotment society committee terminate the agreement for the plot that you are working on, in my society,  the plot will go to the next person on the waiting list.  This is fair, but no good to you.

As a committee member of my allotment society my biggest fear is that a plot will go dormant and we have to ask the member to vacate their plot.  The second biggest fear is that the new tenant will be just as much of a clown as the last one!

I take a zero tolerance approach to delinquent plots.   

Best of luck fella.

Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 22:16 »
I agree with corynsboy's post - good advice
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

dno71

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 01:14 »
As has been said before on my site if this guy gets evicted the plot would go to the person at the top of the waiting list so you could still be puting work in that someone else is going to benefit from!

good luck with it anyway and hope you are lucky and get the plot!

Bigfatsi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 07:18 »
Good luck matey. Hope you get it. It's really infuriating to see empty plots.

I've just got mine around the same time as you did. It and it's two neighbouring plots have been pretty much abandoned (if not totally) yet it took me two and a half years to get a spot.  :mad:

Simon

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 16:19 »
A plot that size on our site would probably be split into 5 plots and lose 5 off the waiting list  :)
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

woodburner

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 14:10 »
Four years, and 'maybe I'll get rounf to it next year'!!!!!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

My plot had 8ft high nettles with such thick and intertwined roots that you couldn't get a fork into, never mind a spade, and god help the rotavator if I had asked for them to rotavate it. If you had glyphosated it, you still couldn't have dug it because the roots would still have been there, so two years later and several loads of cardboard, nevermind the rest, I've been evicted so I don't see why some plon**r who even admits that he's not going to do anything this year, should get to keep his plot!

I wonder if he's got others to do a bit of work on his plot on the side, so that he can make out to the council, that he's been working on it!
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 18:10 »
My other issue with this type of arrangement that Rich.h44 has with his allotment buddy is that There should be a distinction between member and plot holders.  Our insurance (which goes up every year) covers us for members not plot holders as is a makes a distinction that a member can work a plot but not always sign an agreement. 

We have several plots on our site that are worked by more than one person.  This year we asked for all the members details and charged non plot holders the cover price of the insurance policy £2.00 each.  So my Mum & Dad have a half plot so that's two people working a half plot so they paid an extra £2.00 this year.

My plot neighbour has himself and three others working his plot.  Insurance is included in his membership but the other three all paid an extra £2.

Don't get me started on the amount of keys these people have.  One member told me his family all have a spare key just in case they want anything!  WHAT?  That conversation did not go well.

xx
have you made a start on the allotments yet?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post March 21, 2022, 13:30
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Available allotments

Started by samcol1995 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 05, 2007, 21:05
by frazzy
xx
New allotments

Started by makedoandmend on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 19:46
by makedoandmend
xx
New to Allotments

Started by Jae Dawn on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 14, 2013, 07:13
by Yana

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 36 queries.