new to allotments.....were to start

• 23 Replies

rich.h44

new to allotments.....were to start
« on: May 20, 2010, 20:29 »
hi guys well im new to the allotments(and based in hull if anyones out there) but i am working someones plot till Christmas as there is a big waiting list,
anyway the guy whos it is hasnt been on this year at all and not very much in the last 4 years,so its over grown with weeds and crops he has left in,  :mad: so he past 3 days iv managed to clear a 10ft x 10ft square and got path ways down,iv been given some leaks to plant from a guy a few plots away and im thinking on some patatoes but im not sure what else to put in?! any ideas?
everyone is saying that the plot im on has real good soil but to me it looks real rubbely and nothing like good soil!
so my plans are to get some crops in and move onto the next patch because there is no way im going to clear it all for him,im only clearing what i need!
so what do you guys think i should get in there and how?

sorry for silly questions im new
kind regards
rich

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: new to allotments.....were to start
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 20:40 »
Sorry Rich, Im a bit unclear on this

How have you managed to work it? Has he given permission for you to take what bit you need? (Meaning a plot share) or can you take over the plot at Christmas?

Which bit is rubbly, is it part of the plot?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 20:41 »
 Well you arnt gona be wanting to plant anything that needs a long time to cultivate. 10ftx10ft? seems ideal for some leeks & salad stuff. Lettuce & radish's etc, easy to grow & a nice reward for not much effort.

Not to sure about the spuds tho as they are an awfull lot off work to grow & in doing so you will be clearing his patch for him.

good luck & welcome to the dirty brigade.
I generaly just stick things in the ground green side up.

rich.h44

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 21:03 »
hi peapod  yes the guy(nelly) that has the plot has said i can use the whole plot 300ftx 20ft but im only aloud to use it till Christmas as he said he might use it next year(and thats why i dont want to clear it all for him!as its a right mess!and the other reson im doing it to try to get to know people on the allotments and learn about working the plots for when i get my own plot! the rubbly part of the plot is were i have managed to get cleared

digger tom, thanks for that im going to get the leaks in over the weeked and iv got some lettuce seeds planted tonight and in the greehouse,
are onions any good? will they be ready in time?

thanks for replys guys

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 21:06 »
we have had several people do similiar on our plot and then when the original tenants see it looking good they pull the rug and demand it back  ???

Just dont do too much incase, wait for the really good stuff and save it for your own plot  :D

I have just picked up a gardening sieve which is great as we have a lot of gravel in the bottom plot

rich.h44

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 21:15 »
yeah it is a shame to be honest and i think unless people have got a genuine reason not to be on the plot working it,then they should give it up!there is a few plots i've got my eye on some plots but they are worse than what im on! the thing that fustrates me is i just want to get a shed/greenhouse of my own to put some of my things in so i dont have to keep draging them from home

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 21:19 »
Ah I see what you mean now Rich. You are doing really well to work plots and show your face.  I know how frustrating it is   :mad:

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 21:32 »
Aww Rich its soo frustrating for you! Its a shame that there aren't a few more people like you, genuine and want to grow stuff! A lot of people have jumped on the bandwagon called "growyourown" and not really thought about what they are taking on and fail to  accomplish anything! We have a plot near us, and the guy has had it for 2 years and done nothing!! It really annoys me because there is a waiting list a mile long of people who would dearly love a plot! Just be careful Hun, I reckon this guy just wants you to put in the hard work then decides that actually....... Good luck anyway and I hope you get your own plot real soon

rich.h44

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 21:56 »
thanks for all the suport guys it realy help on days like like today!hot sticky and gagging for a beer but im determand to get some crops in and got on with it, alot of people down the alloment have said im brave for what im doing as the guy could just turn around at Christmas and say thats it i want my plot back and thats why im only doing 10ft square at a time as i need it!that way he may giv it up next year!
there are lot of people coming over offering help and advice and i think is great as there sick of see abandand plots!

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 22:05 »
Well, good luck, and I hope you get to stay all growing season. I'd get some courgettes & beans in - they're both big producers.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 22:08 »
I'd have a hard word with whoever is the site allotment officer in writing.  This shouldnt be allowed to happen!

As you are working it, then he most obviously isnt, and he cant be allowed to take it back after YOUR hard work.  Get some pics of you working the plot as back up just in case, and pics of his bit that is obviously neglected.  Then they can decide whether they want deadweights on their plots or productive tenants

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

rich.h44

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 22:21 »
loubs,thanks i do you too but if i do get the plot there will be a nice big shed and adjoining greenhouse going up!

peapod, the guy who looks after the allotment for the council is aware of whats going on and is trying to get him off the plot, iv got loads of pic just in case and for my own satisfaction! :)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 22:23 »
Good, hopefully this waster will get kicked off and you get your fair share

rich.h44

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 22:30 »
yeah i hope so as i have big plans for the plot plus iv promised the kids they can have there own patch to grow what ever they want :)

rich.h44

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 15:43 »
Well I have some good news alot of people have been talking and iv been told the should be getting evicted! Hope it's true! I plan to go down tommorow and get some leaks and patatoes in

xx
have you made a start on the allotments yet?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post March 21, 2022, 13:30
by Hampshire Hog
xx
New Allotments

Started by nellie.b on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 18:08
by Yorkie
xx
New allotments

Started by makedoandmend on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 19:46
by makedoandmend
xx
New Allotments

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 16:46
by Salkeela

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 36 queries.